Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vibration sensor for detecting accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

am!th

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear everyone

Can you suggest me a sensor that i could use in cars to trigger an electric pulse whenever there is an accident of that car with another car.

Regards

am!th

When a car collides with a hard object like another car, wall etc. There will be a rapid deceleration. This rapid change in acceleration can be detected by MEMS based sensor Accelerometer like ADXL203. It is available from Analog Devices. Search Results | Analog Devices . But it requires a complex circuit and sophisticated air bag arrangement with a very fast response time so that air bag opens in real time just after accident. It is not possible to make such a working arrangement at home. It requires sophisticated facilities, equipments, gas and material.

Last edited:

Cheap way.........................

You can go to a junk yard and pull an inertia switch from a wrecked car.

Regards KAK

Can i use it in a circuit to produce electric pulse that,so that i can use the electic pulse to trigger another circuit.

THank you in advance

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

what does an inertia switch do

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

can it be used to produce an electric pulse so that i can use that to trigger another circuit.

what does an inertia switch do
There's no simple "switch" with recent cars rather than an electronic controller evaluating multi-axis acceleration measurements, firing the various air bags based on individual criteria.

In contrast to your initial request, air bags aren't fired on every accident, only on severe ones. You may want to define your own threshold values, depending on the sensor purpose.

There's no simple "switch" with recent cars rather than an electronic controller evaluating multi-axis acceleration measurements, firing the various air bags based on individual criteria.

In contrast to your initial request, air bags aren't fired on every accident, only on severe ones. You may want to define your own threshold values, depending on the sensor purpose.

I just need to trigger a simple circuit say a light when there is an accident using the vibration sensor ,so can the accelerator be used to produce electric pulse to trigger on a light in case of vibration caused due to medium or large accidents.

Thank you in advance

Thank you everyone for your valuable information which were really helpful.

Can you clear one of my last queries.We know that accelerators are present in cars to pass information to crash sensor to inflate the airbags ,is this information that comes from the Crash sensor an electric pulse ,if it is can i use it to trigger another electronic device.Is it easy and can it be done by me or it is mostly done by the Automobile manufacturing Companies.

Yes, you can use the sensor output to activate secondary circuit. But you can't able to directly drive the Light or other source. Sensor output comes in mV range. So you have to amplify in the sense of voltage and current, then you can drive the light or alarm.

Keeping reliable operation of airbag control systems effectively forbids to connect any DIY circuits to it. Responsible edaboard users shouldn't maintain respective discussions in my opinion.

It's however easy to implement the intended function using a separate accelerometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.