Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vias and GND connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

brain-dead

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I have designed a high gain microphone amplifer, using 0805 and soic pacakges. I have built a home made PCB and I had trouble reflowing with it, I had the via's to GND very close to the components pads. The underside of the PCB is a solid copper GND plane. I am going to get the PCB done by a proper PCB fab company and they have advised me to put as much clearance as I can afford between the vias and pads. What effect will this have on my circuit if I use a clearance of 0.6mm between via edge and pad? Because the circuit is high gain it is very important I have a nice clean ground, I was considering tenting the vias but I am not sure what the best option is:

A - Tent the vias and leave spacing very close
B - Leave enough clearence for the solder mask to stop the solder running in to the via, how will this affect my circuit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :smile:

None of that is likely to affect the circuit operation, especially at audio frequencies. The recommended spacing is just so it's easier to make the board.

Thanks crutschow. If I move the vias further away should I make the traces wider?

Status
Not open for further replies.