Not open for further replies.

dchan

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am an absolute beginner to VHDL and Verilog. I have implemented some minor designs using Modelsim (eg gate-level design for 4bit-8bit signed/unsigned comparator, Booth Encoder etc). I am trying to find a feasible semester project that I can implement in 3 months. I have been somewhat working towards implementing a UART but have no idea about how should I simulate this? Would I need to buy a board? If so, which would be a good and cheap one?

Thank you.

Check for 'Spartan 3E Starter Board' on the internet, it's about 120-140$..
It's good to start

I.A

Hi,

I have a Spartan 3E board which is good value.

**broken link removed**

If you want to play with a UART check out this post:

scanman

Hi All;
There are a number of books that are Good, But one That I just Got and is much HELP, is --- Fpga prototyping by Verilog examples (Xilinx Spartan -3 Version) There is also a Vhdl version of this book, Depending on your preference... By Pong P. Chu.... I am just starting to go thru the book, With my Spartan 3E, and except for the LCD, I can impliment the various programs, the 3E also doesn't have the Alpha neumeric Led, But I can wire then in, so no problem....
THANK YOU Marty

I just came across that book as well and am considering buying it along with the board. Thanks a lot everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.