Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL synthesis error (generic parameters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

er.akhilkumar

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am observing a synthesis error while compiling VHDL code using Synopsis design compiler. Actually it is fully generic code in which parameters are like this:

ENTITY abc IS
GENERIC (
A : natural := 4;
B : int_vector(0 TO A-1)
);
PORT (
----
---
--
);

int_vector is an unconstrained array of integers

When I sythesize the code, tool reports "[Error] Name A is unknown". Is this type of generic implementation not synthesizable. The above type of code works fine with simulation tool. Please provide a solution.

Thanx

Last edited:

"Referencing Generics in Generic Lists" is an official VHDL 2008 feature, although it may have been granted by some tools previously. Referring to a tool with full VHDL 2008 support is the only reliable solution.

So, you want to say that this problem is not related with tool, it is related to the VHDL version which we are using?

I don't know if your DC version can be configured to support VHDL 2008. Otherwise edit the code.

I cannot edit the code as I want fully generic block, in which I will only change the parameters nothing else will be changes. Is there any other solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back