Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL design to a ORCAD PSPICE Circuit how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Banshee

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
orcad vhdl

OK well i wanted to test something like the following using SPICE simulation.

I have some VHDL which is just a PWM generator. I would like to add this VHDL in a A/D circuit in PSPICE and test it with some different value resistors and capacitors for a low-pass filter for the output... Basically to create a 1-bit DAC. But i have no idea how to do this at all.

I've tried to add a VHDL file, create part from it but when i try to simulate it tells me no pspice template U1 ignored, thus creates an open net for the resistor.

So does anyone have a how to to do this with OrCAD SPICE?

I am using Orcad CAPTURE CIS v 9 and/or 10 i think.

If this is the wrong forum for this kind of question please advise me to the correct one.

Thank You,
Chris

pspice vhdl

I have some VHDL which is just a PWM generator. I would like to add this VHDL in a A/D circuit in PSPICE and test it with some different value resistors and capacitors for a low-pass filter for the output... Basically to create a 1-bit DAC. But i have no idea how to do this at all.

Okay sorry to burst your bubble but Pspice doesn't support VHDL simulation directly. Orcad may support this future, but not at this time.

Two Solutions I could suggest is; Use ATMEL Wincupl and make a .jed and simulate your PWM with a PSPICE GAL device or you may look at SLPS for Orcad and see if you can use Matlab to simulate your VHDL then interface to Orcad, (Indirect interfacing). However SLPS requires Version 10.3 and above.

You can contact Orcad, (Cadence), and ask them for more information.

Here is some links for more information on the topic:

SLPS

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

"Study Shows How Cadence PSpice A/D Could Be Used to Simulate VHDL Models"

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

vhdl orcad

Thanks for links i'll read up on it. If Orcad can not simulate VHDL why does it allow you to make VHDL files and designs for FPGAs? Just wondering i am not very good with the software.

On another note, I normally use Altera Quartus for all my digital circuits as i have Altera's CPLDs and FPGAs. Is there was to link the simulations from Quartus to PSPICE?

I look into the Altera's manuals and see if i see anything.

Thanks Again

matlab slps vhdl

f Orcad can not simulate VHDL why does it allow you to make VHDL files and designs for FPGAs?

The question you asked about is mixed simulation, (Analog and Digital simulation with Pspice). If you just want to do Digital, you could with Orcad but with additional products, (NC-VHDL, Modelsim, etc.). It doesn't make sense since you still need Quartus-II or Xilinx Alliance. This feature is more a legacy feature for old product designs.

btw: Wincupl can convert VHDL to a Jedec that could be used with Pspice. However, only simple VHDL designs that could fit in a GAL device.

On another note, I normally use @ltera qu(at)rtus for all my digital circuits as i have @ltera's CPLDs and FPGAs. Is there was to link the simulations from qu(at)rtus to PSPICE?

Maybe via Orcad SLPS.

VHDL -> Modelsim -> MATLAB -> SLPS -> PSPICE

I look into the @ltera's manuals and see if i see anything.

Orcad is mainly used for Schematic Capture and Board Designs, (Pspice mainly for Analog Designers). You will only find out how to use an Qurtus PIN file to create a schematic symbol. Nothing about mix simulation.

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii52014.pdf
**broken link removed**
http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd07281998_2589.html
**broken link removed**

vhdl simulation using pspice

Wow thanks for the response, so it looks like i am just trying to do something that isn't possible. I guess software can't do everything.

Thanks for some more links also.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back