Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL: converting 64bit vector to 32bit vector

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagixD

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to multiply two 32bit vectors and add a 32bit vector to it. As we know, if we multiply two 32bit vectors the result is a 64bit vector. I know that the result of the multiplication in my design will not exceed 32bit, so i wrote a code in a style like this:
Code:
signal arr1 : signed(31 downto 0);
signal arr2 : signed(31 downto 0);
signal res  : signed(63 downto 0);
signal foo  : signed(31 downto 0);

res <= arr1*arr2;

foo <= res(31 downto 0) + X"0000000F";

Is it possible to write the code without the use of the signal res, like:
Code:
foo <= (arr1*arr2)(31 downto 0) + X"000000F";

I hope anyone can understand my problem.

magixD

you can try this:
add signal
signal temp : signed(63 downto 0);
temp(31 downto 0) <= "00000000000000000000000000001111"

foo <= res + temp;

MagixD

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In VHDL, you can't construct slices of expressions.

You can define a function, that returns the intended bit selection. With numeric_std library, you can use the resize standard function, it would also provide saturation logic, if the input signal range is not limited in a suitable way.

I don't understand, why you want do downsize the product to 32 bit and then add a 64 bit signal?

MagixD

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@flanix:
Thanks for your answer, but i think you didn't really get my problem.

@FvM:
What i want to do is multiply two 32bit vectors, assign the result to a 32bit vector and than add a 32bit vector. My compiler and, as far as i know VHDL itself, longs for a 64bit vector as result of the multiplication (that's clear, becaus only a 64bit vector can store all possible results of a multiplication of to 32bit vectors).
I know that the multiplication won't exceed 32bits, so what I do now is:
Code:
signal arr1 : signed(31 downto 0);
signal arr2 : signed(31 downto 0);
signal res  : signed(63 downto 0);
signal foo  : signed(31 downto 0);

res <= arr1*arr2;

foo <= res(31 downto 0) + X"0000000F";

That works fine, but i thought to myself that i would be nice to write the calculation in one single line and restrain "arr1*arr2" to the lower 32bits. So I don't need such a function by design but by code-clarity (i have much more of this constucts in my code). ;)

I was afraid that this is not possibly, since i searched my VHDL books in advance, of course.

Thanks to both of you.

best regards,
magixD

If you know in advance that the result of the multiplication will not exceed 32-bit, this means that both multiplier and multiplicand need no more than 16-bit.

The expression that you used (arr1 * arr2) is therefore throwing away resources.

you would rather use something like:

foo <= (arr1(15 downto 0) * arr2(15 downto 0)) + X"000F";

Status
Not open for further replies.