Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] VHDL code to input data of size 18432 bit as word by word of sizes 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mai89

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I write a VHDL code to input data of size 18432 bit as word by word of sizes 64 bit.

Input to "what"?

My first idea:
64 FF with paralleled CLK.

Klaus

Mai89

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I usually use a text editor.

Mai89

Is it a language exercise or a real design problem?

Reactions: dpaul

Mai89

How can the whole input signal be 18432? that signal is far to big to be sent in a single clock over any interface I know. WHat interfaces are you using? what chip is it? where is the data coming from?

Mai89

How can the whole input signal be 18432? that signal is far to big to be sent in a single clock over any interface I know. WHat interfaces are you using? what chip is it? where is the data coming from?
I want to receive it part by part (part=64-bit)
Chip: Virtex7 (xc7vx485ttfg 11557-1)
It should be received from a node in wireless sensor network.

I want to receive it part by part (part=64-bit)
It is understood you want the data in 64-bit words.

Chip: Virtex7 (xc7vx485ttfg 11557-1)
okay a large Virtex part. What clock frequency do you expect the 64-bit interface to run at and does it connect to something external?

It should be received from a node in wireless sensor network.
What kind of interface is on the wireless sensor network. You can't receive wireless signals directly in the FPGA, so there has to be some sort of device that the FPGA interfaces to that receives the wireless signals and converts them to digital signals. I'm sure that whatever that device is it does not send you a 18432-bit wide value as a single word. If it did the part would have to be in a 136x136 minimum package to accomodate that many pins.

The wireless device probably has a serial or byte output of some sort, and any packets that are send over the network are probably 2304-byte packets. That would mean you either have to use serial to parallel conversion to get the 32-bit output you desire or do a byte to 32-bit conversion. In either case it depends on how the data is sent from the wireless network device.

Mai89

Honestly, the interface part isn't mine in this task, but anyways it is RF transceiver.
Expected Frequency: around 200MHZ.
All what i want to know how to take a long data-stream word by word of sizes 64-bit to reduce the used input pins.

You have no chance of doing this task without knowing how the interface works. The interface basically determines HOW you are going to receive or transmit data. Where does your data come from? is it on chip? is it off chip?
The data will arrived clocked 64 bits per clock (or per valid cycle- depending on how the interface works). If the length is always the same then you know how many words you will receive. If its variable then there will be some way to determine how long it is - likely a packet header or some sideband signalling.
THis is why its important to know how your interfaces work. Without knowledge of the interfaces, this task impossible.

Reactions: Mai89

Mai89

Hi,

I agree with TrickyDicky.
It seems you want to use a 64 parallel interface ... but most probably the interface doesn´t have...

You really need the interface specification first.
Signals, levels, timing, protocol...

Klaus

Mai89

Honestly, the interface part isn't mine in this task, but anyways it is RF transceiver.
Then shake-up the interface design guy and get all info on the interface data in order to proceed with your task.

Mai89

You have no chance of doing this task without knowing how the interface works. The interface basically determines HOW you are going to receive or transmit data. Where does your data come from? is it on chip? is it off chip?
The data will arrived clocked 64 bits per clock (or per valid cycle- depending on how the interface works). If the length is always the same then you know how many words you will receive. If its variable then there will be some way to determine how long it is - likely a packet header or some sideband signalling.
THis is why its important to know how your interfaces work. Without knowledge of the interfaces, this task impossible.
okay, thanks for this explanation. I will search for the required interface and then back to this helpful thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back