Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL code for decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

programmer36

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need code to design 4 to 16 decoder using 3to8 decoder. Thanks.

u can use two 3:8 decoder; and using multiplexer option can chose the decoder;

3rd bit is help full for u for multiplexing;

1st 3:8 decoder: : 3rd bit is 0
0 000
0 001
--
--
0 111

2nd 3:8 decoder: : 3rd bit is 1
1 000
1 001
--
--
1 111

regards
rajavel.rv

How to implement that in vhdl code? Since 2x 3to8 decoder have 6inputs while 4to16 decoder have 4inputs.
Thanks man.

you can connect 2 bits to constant value

How to implement that in vhdl code? Since 2x 3to8 decoder have 6inputs while 4to16 decoder have 4inputs.
Thanks man.

Design a 3:8 decoder with selection signal; the input of (2 downto 0) (3 bit) u can connect easily now and rest of 3rd(4th bit) u can connect as a selection signal of both 3:8 decoder;

regards
rajavel.rv

You can implement in this way.

Unbenanntff.jpg

If the 3 to 8 decoders doesn't have an enable input, it gets more interesting.
I think I then need 5 of them to create a 4 to 16 decoder.

If the 3 to 8 decoders doesn't have an enable input, it gets more interesting.
I think I then need 5 of them to create a 4 to 16 decoder.

Nice, the designing of 3:8 decoder logic not required for the enable pin, but here the 4:16 decoder we need the enable pin for 3:8 decoder, its same like as a chip enable, device enable or block enable; this enable pin have only possible to used for tri-state logic of the 3:8 decoder, if its enable means its passing the output through the buffer, its not enable means the output have only high impedance state; as per design of kaiserschmarren87(previous post);

regards,
rajavel.rv

The exact logic function of the imagined 3-to-8 decoder hasn't been specified, but it would be rather unusual that the enable input is related to a tristate function. Review 74138 IC as an example of expectable decoder operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.