Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL assert statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

hithesh123

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am testing a simple 'and' gate. I tried using assert when output is '1'.
But assert message pops up when simulation starts at t=0 ns and when output goes from 1 to 0.
code and waveform attached. The blue arrow tip indicates assert message was executed.

Entity ANDgate_Test is
End entity ANDgate_Test;

Library IEEE;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;

Architecture test1 of Andg_Test is
Component ANDgate is
Port (A, B : in BIT;
Y: out BIT);
End component ANDgate;
signal a, b, c: BIT;
Begin
X: ANDgate port map (a, b, c);
a<= '0' after 1 NS, '1' after 10 NS, '0' after 200 NS;
b<= '0' after 1 NS, '1' after 100 NS, '0' after 300 NS;
assert c = '1'
report "Error"
severity note;

end test1;

Attachments

• wave.JPG
    wave.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 57

whats going here is to do with the way VHDL works.
the assert statement will be checked at t=0 and then whenever c changes. Initially, c = '0' because it has not been assigned the output of the AND gate yet, because assignments like that take 1 delta cycle.

So c initially starts at '0' (because VHDL signals initialise with the leftmost value, which is '0' in the case of bit, then 1 delta cycle later it is assigned to '0' from the and gate because a and b are '0'. Then you get the assert again when the c goes from 1 to 0.

Also, I think you have slightly misunderstood how assert works, assuming you wanted output when c=1, rather than '0'. The rule is:

assert (all_is_good) report "This output occurs when allisgood is false (ie. not good)" severity NOTE;

so in your case, you probably want
assert c= '0'

Status
Not open for further replies.