Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very simple question about VHDL language

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahrach

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,

what is the difference betwenn these two statements;

1- std_logic;
2- std_logic_vector(0 downto 0);

I found this in Core Generator when creating a BRAM

regards;

A type definition isn't a statement, by the way.

A parameterizable component that expects port signals of the std_logic_vector type must be connected to signals of the second kind, if you want them one bit wide, e.g. a RAM with 1 bit data width. You can't use std_logic in this case, but you can assign it to std_logic and vice versa in your code.

1 is a normal type, 2 is an array type of std_logic.

So forget the fact that on a synthesised board, they would be the same thing, we're in the VHDL strong type world.

So, heres some code with comments:

Code:
signal a : std_logic;
signal b : std_logic_vector(0 downto 0);

a <= b; --illegal because b is an array and a isnt
b <= a; --illegal opposite of above

a <= b(0); --legal - because element 0 is a std_logic
b(0) <= a; --legal - because a is a std_logic being connected to element 0 of the array

FvM - and you are correct about the ram - I messed around once with quartus creating an array of std_logic to try and infer a ram - it didnt like it. I raised a support request (and knowing altera, it dissapeared into the ether)

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.