Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very low duty cycle pulse generator design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deesha

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a problem. I need to design a pulse generator circuit with on time of 100nanoseconds n duty cycle of 1%. The amplitude of this pulse must be 3.3V. Can i get any help on that please?

use google to search for "transistor multivibrator circuit".
It might do what you require.

Reactions: Deesha

Deesha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
100 ns and 10 us time intervals can be easily generated with monoflop logic ICs. Two of them can be combined to a pulse generator.

Deesha

**broken link removed** might be worth looking into. The abstract says the circuit, as shown, can do 20 Hz-13 kHz, but can be adjusted by tweaking C1. I'd probably mock it up in SPICE to see how the performance is at a 100 kHz rep rate.

From initial inspection, it looks like most PWM circuits out there... a triangle-wave generator and a comparator.

V

Deesha

Thank you very very much for all your help! im still not sure about the design n am working towards it. if there are any troubles i will get back for further assistance.

...I need to design a pulse generator circuit with on time of 100 nanoseconds n duty cycle of 1%. ...
This means that you want to get an 1 (one) nanosec width output pulse ?

My humble opinion, it's almost impossible to realize it as a DIY circuit. Sorry ....
Of course it's possible to generate a 100 nanoSec pulse with 10 microSec periodic time .. : - )

you can use 555 timer for this purpose
100kHz not too much
8O

but the 1% duty cycle is the hitch. 555 timer i think their rise time itself poses a problem.

Yes, the 555 is too slow to do this.
As FvM wrote above, use two monoflops.
The HC123 is a dual monoflop, working at 2...6 v, min. output pulse width < 100 nS ...
**broken link removed**

Deesha

i am hoping the circuit enjunear has posted will work.
Trying to get the max4232 ic now. Most dealers don't have stock.
I dont have the pspice s/w. If i could get help simulating it then, it would help me purchase the right values of resistors and capacitors.

ok ..But 555 timer has Rise and Fall time 100nSec

555 timer is a good choice. it has good rise and fall time. Whats the application you are going to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.