Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vero board/ general purpose PCB that supports pitch sizes of SMD components

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a veroboard/ general purpose PCB that supports pitch sizes of SMD components ? I have a SMD IC that is too narrow to be mounted on conventional boards or even a IC base.

veroboard

You can solder wraping wire to the pins which are being used and solder these in the vero board. No general purpose board (for SMD) exits, as far as I know.

how to solder device in veroboard

Some prototype boards with 1/20" grid are available, e. g. from www.roth-elektronik.com respectively catalog distributors. A more versatile way is using SMT device adaptor boards on top of the prototype board, that allow also for smaller pin grid as 0.5 or 0.65 mm.

ivar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
cleaning veroboard

Also cam across these..

**broken link removed**

there are loads of other package types on that site too.
I'm sure they had smt to dil adapters too, but cant find them on there at the moment.

ivar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
how do solder vero pins

Thanks for the inputs guys....Any idea how to solder this 24 pin SSOP using a hobby soldering iron on to the adapter? I'm afraid of shorting the pins.

futurlec smd adapters

One method I've used, if you have access to solder flux, is to tin each pcb pad very lightly then place chip on pcb and solder the corner pins.

Put plenty of flux around the IC, clean the iron and then wipe the iron down each line of pins.

It works just as well with 100+ pin IC's but it's messy and requires a little practice but usually works.

Forgot to mention, after cleaning the iron, add a solder blob to the tip. I've got a very fine point iron nowadays so haven't used the above for some years.

smd vero

I ran across this place in an ad in Make magazine. It looks like they have small pitch breadboards. **broken link removed**

Digikey also has some smt boards: **broken link removed**

Another: http://www.adapt-plus.com/products/adapters/prod_smt_board.html

and another: **broken link removed**

Those two were from Google'ing: smt adapter board.

I remember seeing some small PCBs for single smt transistors and single small ICs, but can't fine them.

Ken

veroboard digikey

Use fine wire 28swg solder. If you short pins together dont worry you can use solder wick soaked in flux or a flux pen. Then reflow the solder with your iron and solder wick. Work up and down the pins and along the row. When doing this have the solder wick(braid) sandwitched between the component and your Iron. Make shure that your iron can produce enough heat especially on ground plains.
Alternately you could use a hot air gun to produce the heat but practise on something first as it is easy to fry up pcb's if your new to this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back