Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Verilog waveform question (using online simulation website edaplayfround)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zongya

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I just start to learn verilog and try to simulate AND gate on eda playground.

The module is:
Code:
module andgate (a, b, y);
input a, b;
output y;

assign y = a & b;

endmodule

And testbench is:
Code:
module andgate_tb;
wire t_y;
reg t_a, t_b;

andgate my_gate( .a(t_a), .b(t_b), .y(t_y) );

initial
begin

$dumpfile("dump.vcd");

$dumpvars(0, my_gate);

$monitor("At time %2t, t_a=%d t_b=%d t_y=%d",$time, t_a, t_b, t_y);

t_a = 1'b0;
    t_b = 1'b0;

#5;

t_a = 1'b0;
    t_b = 1'b1;

#5;
    t_a = 1'b1;
    t_b = 1'b0;

#5;
    t_a = 1'b1;
    t_b = 1'b1;

#5;

end

endmodule

However, the waveform I got is only from 0~15 time units. Shouldn't it be 20 units since I put four #5?

I'm using a online simulation website https://www.edaplayground.com/ Tool & Simulators ModelSim 10.1d

Re:Verilog waveform question
I did simulation using your testbench code itself and also it runs after 15 time units also in Modelsim 6.3c. Set tour run length as 5 time units.

Reactions: zongya

zongya

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi all,
However, the waveform I got is only from 0~15 time units. Shouldn't it be 20 units since I put four #5?
Nope, 0-15 is as it should be. You are monitoring changes. And the last change occurs at t=15. The simulator may run for 20 time units, but if you don't perform a change in the time interval 15-20, then you are not going to see a change during that interval. As an example say you add another #100; at the end, the simulator would now run for a total of 120 time units. But you would still only see actual changes between t=0 and t=15. If you want to see more changes, then you'll have to actually change t_a or t_b somewhere after t = 15.

Reactions: zongya

zongya

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back