Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog: question with blocking assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluny

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to calculate the minimum of two values compared to an older minimum value. And I want to do this in one cycle. In my calculation I take the first value and compare it with the old minimum value. Then I take the new (maybe) minimum value and compare it with the second element.

I think that I can only realize this with blocking assignments? for example in the following simplified way:

Code:
always @(*)
begin
  if (value[0] < min)
     min = value1;
   if (value[1] < min)
      min = value2;
end

always @(posedge clk)
begin
   min_out <= min;
end
My question: Is there any better way to do this??? Because if I want to synthesize the code, a lot of warnings, due to the produced latch, are reported.

Cluny

waning is due to the incomplement of your if block , you can add else block !

Hi,

May be this is what u want, if not try to give some example/better explanation :

i will assume x and y as two inputs of 2-bit wide. The below code can written more efficiently but i just wanted to check with you whether this is what you wanted interms of functionality

input [1:0] x,y;

wire [1;0] min_x_y, min_old_new;
reg [1:0] min_old;

assign min_x_y = (x < y) ? x : y;

assign min_old_new = (min_old < min_x_y) ? min_old : min_x_y;

always@(posedge reset or posedge clock)
begin
if(reset)
min_old <= 0;
else
min_old <= min_old_new;
end

Regards,
dcreddy

Thanks for the hints. The real program I've written is more complex than my simple example has shown. I want to get the minimum of a lot of values and want to take two values and check them at once (in one cycle). The calculated min_out is the new minimum which I have to compare with the next two values and so on...

I think I've founded what my problem was. In the comb always block I used the min value as an "input" and not the feedback value of the output register min_out. With respect to my original example a better version, which does not produce a latch, would be:

Code:
always @(*)
begin
  min = min_out  // min is loaded by previous value of min_out, no latch is produced
  if (value[0] < min)
     min = value1;
   if (value[1] < min)
      min = value2;
end

always @(posedge clk)
begin
   min_out <= min;
end

Bye, Cluny

hi cluny,

Its bit strange u r logic, lets assume this scenario :

value[0] = 2
value[1] = 3
min_out = 4

u r min value after the always block will be : min = 3

Is this waht you want??? The requirement looks strange, Ideally i would have expected value[0] and value[1] compared first and then the resultant value is compared against the previous minimum number which is how i have implemented.

Any how if this is what u want, its fine with me.

Regards,
dcreddy

Hi dcreddy1980,

I don't really know why your result would be 3???
There are blocking assignments in the always block, which are successively executed. I suppose that this leads to the right and desired result.

Code:
min = min_out          // min = 4
if (value[0] < min)    // right, 2 < 4
  min = value[0];      // min = 2
if (value[1] < min)    // false, 3 < 2
  min = value[1];      // min = 2

Nevertheless, the main problem was the produced latch...
So for me this problem is solved.

cluny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back