Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog Coding style questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrite

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have few questions on the verilog coding style.

Which is better in term of speed/area for synthesis?
Question 1:
a. I can create some small functions such as a function that will do add, a function that will do multiplication. So that every time when I need to do some multiplication (example), i can just call this function.
b. Or I can do the multiplication/addition simply in the code without using functions.

Question 2 (related to question 1):
a. Use function.
b. Use submodule.

Question 3:
a. always @(posedge clk)
a <= b + c;
b. assign d <= b + c;
always @(posedge clk)
a <= d;

Question 4:
a. if (b == 3'b111)
b. assign a = &b;
if (a)

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

OK! First note that a good coding style may vary from one fpga family to another. So see the synthesizer tool document to find more.
But about your questions:
1. You can do that. But simply you can use * for multiplication. On devices such as Virtex-II and Spartan-III, this will synthesized to Embedded multipliers.
2. I advise to use submodules.
3. No difference!
4. No difference!

A practical way to find the replies of these questions is to write a simple code and examine them with synthesis. Then see the result circuit!

mine opinion is for logic, use submodule; for stimulus, use function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back