Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog code for decade down counter with asynchronous parallel load and borrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumindu89

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help me to write the verilog code for a decade down counter with asynchronous parallel load and borrow. The operation is similar to the 74192 IC.

I can write the code for decade down counter.
But I have no idea how to implement the parallel load inputs and the borrow output. :sad:

Please help me to write the complete verilog code for this. Any suggestion? ( I am using Altera MAX II - EPM240T200C5N CPLD)

How about showing the code you have so far?

Hello!
I decided to write the code using VHDL.

I found a VHDL code for a frequency divider (divided by 25) and I modified it to divide the frequency by 80. (I need a divided by 80 fixed divider too).

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL;

entity divby_80 is
Port (
clk : in std_logic;
reset: in std_logic;
clk_out : out std_logic

);
end divby_80;

architecture divby_80_a of divby_80 is
process(reset,clk)
begin
if (reset='0') then
count<=0;
clk_out<='0';
elsif rising_edge(clk) then
if (count=79) then
clk_out<=NOT(clk_out);
count<=0;
else
count<=count+1;
end if;
end if;
end process;
end divby_80_a;

So what about this code? Is it fine?
I have two points in this code to understand.
why do we use "clk_out<=NOT(clk_out);" and why do we use a reset?
Once I finished the code for this fixed divider I can move to the programmable divider which is more complex. :)

Better make that 3 points to understand. ;) Because you have just implemented a divide by 160. Counting to 80 and then inverting the clock result in a period of 160 counts. Adjust accordingly (count to 40, not 80) and everything shall be peachy!

Also ... "why do we use "clk_out<=NOT(clk_out);" ... uhm, well, you want an output that actually changes a la 1010101010101. If you would not not, then you do not get your clock. :p

"and why do we use a reset?" Why not? Also, the reset is put there specifically to have some people realize they should run to the library to get a book on digital design. ;-) You do the reset to get your system in a known state. In this case when the reset is asserted, count gets initialized to 0. Oh and clk_out is set to 0 as well.

Last edited:
Better make that 3 points to understand. ;) Because you have just implemented a divide by 160. Counting to 80 and then inverting the clock result in a period of 160 counts. Adjust accordingly (count to 40, not 80) and everything shall be peachy!

Also ... "why do we use "clk_out<=NOT(clk_out);" ... uhm, well, you want an output that actually changes a la 1010101010101. If you would not not, then you do not get your clock. :p

"and why do we use a reset?" Why not? Also, the reset is put there specifically to have some people realize they should run to the library to get a book on digital design. ;-) You do the reset to get your system in a known state. In this case when the reset is asserted, count gets initialized to 0. Oh and clk_out is set to 0 as well.

OK. :smile:

Then the next step is implementing the programmable divider. Hmm.. What is the easiest method for that?

Where you have "if (count=79) then" now, you make it "if (count=prescaler) then" etc. And this "prescaler" is for example an 8-bit wide input that you have to add to your module.

Then setting prescaler to 39 will result in 40 counts, which gets you a divide by 80.

Where you have "if (count=79) then" now, you make it "if (count=prescaler) then" etc. And this "prescaler" is for example an 8-bit wide input that you have to add to your module.

Then setting prescaler to 39 will result in 40 counts, which gets you a divide by 80.

My frequency dividing range for the programmable divider is from 880 to 1080.
Anyways, I am struggling to write a VHDL code for an appropriate prescaler. Can you show me a sample code?

I could. But I won't. :p All you need in the above is add an extra "prescaler" input to your module like I suggested before. Why do I not give you code for that? Well, if you don't know how to do that then there will be more challenges for you. So your best bet is to find a few vhdl tutorials and see how you can add an input to that module.

I am all about laziness, but this is not the particular brand of laziness I tend to enable. ;) Besides, with a bit of luck someone else will give you an example.

Anyways, the 3 vhdl concepts you should be googling are: integer, std_logic and std_logic_vector.

First of all I got an error when I compile the following vhdl code which is a fixed frequency divider through Quartus II
library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL;

entity divby_80 is
Port (
clk : in std_logic;
reset: in std_logic;
clk_out : out std_logic

);
end divby_80;

architecture divby_80_a of divby_80 is
process(reset,clk)
variable count : integer;
begin
if (reset='0') then
count:=0;
clk_out<='0';
elsif rising_edge(clk) then
if (count=39) then
clk_out<=NOT(clk_out);
count<=0;
else
count:=count+1;
end if;
end if;
end process;
end divby_80_a;

Error (10309): VHDL Interface Declaration error in div3.vhd(25): interface object "clk_out" of mode out cannot be read. Change object mode to buffer.

what is this issue?

I got the following code for fixed division from here >> https://vhdlguru.blogspot.com/2011/03/clock-frequency-converter-in-vhdl.html

library IEEE;
use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;

entity clk_gen is
port( Clk : in std_logic;
Clk_mod : out std_logic;
divide_value : in integer
);
end clk_gen;

architecture Behavioral of clk_gen is

signal counter,divide : integer := 0;

begin

divide <= divide_value;

process(Clk)
begin
if( rising_edge(Clk) ) then
if(counter < divide/2-1) then
counter <= counter + 1;
Clk_mod <= '0';
elsif(counter < divide-1) then
counter <= counter + 1;
Clk_mod <= '1';
else
Clk_mod <= '0';
counter <= 0;
end if;
end if;
end process;

end Behavioral;

And modified it for programmable division as follows.

library IEEE;
use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;

entity divider is
port( clk : in std_logic;
clk_out : out std_logic;
divide_value : in std_logic_vector (9 downto 0)
);
end divider;

architecture Behavioral of divider is

signal counter,programmable_divide : integer := 0;

begin

programmable_divide <= to_integer(unsigned(divide_value(9 downto 0)));

process(clk)
begin
if( rising_edge(clk) ) then
if(counter < programmable_divide/2-1) then
counter <= counter + 1;
clk_out <= '0';
elsif(counter < programmable_divide-1) then
counter <= counter + 1;
clk_out <= '1';
else
clk_out <= '0';
counter <= 0;
end if;
end if;
end process;

end Behavioral;

what do you think?
I have a doubt in std_logic_vector to integer conversion. Does my code for the particular conversion have any issues?

I were able to compile the code for programmable divider but I it took more than 30 minutes for the simulation (vector waveform) and still couldn't get the simulation report (but no errors encountered) in Quartus II 7.2 sp3 web edition. Therefore I gave up the simulation. I don't know why it taking lot of time to simulate that code.

What is the wrong? :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back