Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vehicle tracking with gps/gprs

Status
Not open for further replies.

diederick

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gps gprs gateway

Dear forum members,

I hope this is the correct sub forum for this question.

I have recently implemented a proof of concept vehicle tracking solution using Google Maps and an N95 smart-phone.
Now I'd like to deploy this solution for a fleet of +/- 100 vehicles and I'm looking for a cheap, sturdy, dedicated module which will provide gps/gprs. After some searching i found the G-548R (**broken link removed**) which is based on the Simcom module SIM548Z.

This module seems to do exactly what i need and I've ordered one for testing. After some testing i ran into trouble and the supplier doesn't seem able to help me. I hope someone here can give me some hints on how to go from here. After all i guess what I'm trying to do is quite usual, there must me hundreds of vehicle tracking solutions out there.

My questions:
1. is this device suitable for my purpose? (sending longitude and latitude to a remote server via gprs every minute or so). Or maybe you advice me to look into other low-budget locators?
2. does the AT commandset supports some kind of looping? (this is necessary for sending the location every minute)
3. can i save the config somewhere to flash on the device so the device starts sending it's location after a cold start without human intervention?
4. is there some examplecode out there for this kind of stuff? I found extremely little information about this kind of programming.

I try to keep this post as short a possible, but i can provide the code i have so far.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Diederick

gprs tracking

diederick said:
1. is this device suitable for my purpose? (sending longitude and latitude to a remote server via gprs every minute or so). Or maybe you advice me to look into other low-budget locators?
This will provide longitude & latitude, and will provide a GPRS connection. However, this is not a stand-alone device. You need to connect it to a microcontroller or PC to get the GPS data, format it, manged the GPRS connectation and send the data.

diederick said:
2. does the AT commandset supports some kind of looping? (this is necessary for sending the location every minute)
No - the AT command set is just a protocol for communicating with the module. The program in your controller is responsible for that.

diederick said:
3. can i save the config somewhere to flash on the device so the device starts sending it's location after a cold start without human intervention?
Again, the Module will not do that - the program in your controller has to handle that.

at command set vehicle tracking

Dear GsmMan,

I was afraid of that, this is a serious setback in my planning. I asked the supplier about this before ordering the sample module and he assured me it was a complete standalone device. He probably misunderstood me.

So, i'm back at square 1.. Do you have any suggestions on which module to buy? My requirements are simple, i need a basic tracking module. The problem is cost, i'd like to keep the price as low as possible (preferably around 100 US or even lower if possible).

Thanks,

Diederick

vehicle tracking using gps gprs and google maps

Hi,

Still no reply on my question on which module to buy. Should i create a new topic for this kind of question or just be patient?

Regards

i want to assemble my tracking vehicle device

I'm not aware of any "module" that will do what you want. There are "Protoboards" and "Development kits" that include a processor, GPS receiver and GSM radio on a single board, but you would have to write the code to provide the functionality you describe.

gps tracker gprs

Hi,

I found this tracker, it seems to do what i need, before ordering it i'd like a second opinion :)

**broken link removed**

Thnx!

gps gprs programming

diederick said:
Hi,

I found this tracker, it seems to do what i need, before ordering it i'd like a second opinion :)

**broken link removed**

Thnx!
That module requires you to call it, and then it will send you an SMS (text) message with the coordinates. You must then manually enter those coordinates into Google maps. This is very "human-intensive" - requires a lot of manual operations. If you want to use this with 100 vehicles, you'd better plan on having a person dedicated to doing this all day long. Also, SMS is an expensive way to get data, GPRS is much cheaper.

tracking gprs gps google maps

Hi diederick,
I run a GPS tracking site and have some experience with this stuff. The tracker you are looking at says that it has GPRS TCP which means that you can configure it to report its location to a tracking server. Usually you can configure it to do this periodically by sending it a text message. I'd be very suprised if you cannot do this with this tracker too. You will need a tracking server. I have mine at http://www.gpstrackthis.com. Are you writing+hosting a GPRS gateway too? If not there are some free services that will work for one specific tracker. I think that twibble (a twitter client) may work as well but either way, these servers will need to understand your trackers GPRS message and these are all subtly different. There are some other more commerical services that charge for use. See www.geotrack24.com.
One final thing. That tracker is more suited to personal use. For vehicles, I think there are more suitable trackers which have external SMS and GPS aerials. If you stick that tracker under the bonnet it wont get a signal. Try here http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/211186334/Car_GPS_tracker_Model_PG_BGTK100_.html for an example of a vehicle tracker for cars. Good luck

good gps vehicle tracking

I AM NOT ABLE TO SEND THE MESSAGE VIA MICROCONTROLLER. CAN SOMEBODY PROVIDE ME WITH A SAMPLE PROGRAM ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE WHICH IS FULLY WORKING. ALSO HOW TO USE CONTROL+Z IN PROGRAMMING.

www.bofan.cc

musaraza86 said:
I AM NOT ABLE TO SEND THE MESSAGE VIA MICROCONTROLLER. CAN SOMEBODY PROVIDE ME WITH A SAMPLE PROGRAM ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE WHICH IS FULLY WORKING. ALSO HOW TO USE CONTROL+Z IN PROGRAMMING.

A microcontroller uses assembly language. CONTROL+Z is a keystroke combination.

gps tracking server

YES U ARE RIGHT THATCTRL+Z IS A STROKE. BUT TO SEND THE SMS VIA HYPERTERMINAL ONE HAS TO PRESS CTRL+Z. SO HOW TO SEND MESSAGE WITHOUT USING THIS...

Hi
I too bought the G-548R GSM/GPRS+GPS MODEM. My problem is I seem to not be able to install the modem properly on my computer. I do install the modem, but when i query the modem, it fails and says to make sure the modem is connected or turned on. The modem is both connected and turned on. I was wondering if there are any drivers for this particular modem and if so where i can get them? Or are there any other suggested drivers I can use as opposed to the drivers provided by Microsoft?
Thanks

Added after 5 hours 47 minutes:

Hi all,

The first problem posted is fixed: turned out to be a faulty computer port.

I have since moved this to a new computer.

I am having great difficulty in getting the GPS to work. The GPRS is connecting like a dream. Diedrick: were you able to get the GPS workign on this specific model? any tips/tricks etc?

Thanks in advance

Re: good gps vehicle tracking

musaraza86 said:

Ctrl + Z is charater which has ASCII key code is 0x1A (You just need to send byte 0x1A to RS232, like you send 0x0D = '\r' and 0x0A ='\n')

Hi Diederick,

I think that this might be exactly what you are looking for. I used to be an applications engineer for a company that did asset tracking and this was a product that we used. its very easy to set up and its all AT+CMD based. you can set reporting frequency through a serial port.

http://www.enfora.com/index.cgi?CONTENT_ID=26&User:LANGUAGE=en

even though it is completely stand alone, it also has 3 I/Os for additional functionality.

Try GM862-GPS. Expensive though.

What about this? It comes with GE864 instead of GM862.
GPS-Tracker-2.jpg

++Controller with periphery++
o CPU ATMEGA 162
o RAM for 1K application
o Data Flash (Non volatile) 16KB and 512 Byte EEPROM
o GPI0 Pins , AD / DA converter
o 1 COM port, I2C, SPI
o JTAG Interface
o Charging circuit for LIPO Battery
o DC/DC Power Supply, input voltage 6 to 32V

++Radio modules++
o Quad-Band GSM / GPRS Module incl. SIM card holder
o GPS module based on SiRF 3/LP
**broken link removed**

hello kasthuri kumar from india

tis topic is same as wat i'm going to do as my project...

but with 1 or 2 additional ideas n modifications..

can u post the details of tis project so it'll be useful for me to workout

Status
Not open for further replies.