Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vector Network Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicman

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am just wandering how can I design my own VNA(0-20GHz) from where I shoulld start ?

books,notes,....,and schematics
please help
Thanks

VNA is an instrument that can be used to test RF circuits.
Do you want to use VNA to test your circuits rather than design VNA?

I need to design just only the basic principle of the whole VNA with excluding all
dsp, LCD , softwares ,just only the RF part of the VNA for RF frequency (from DC-3GHz,or even 1GHz)

just only the principle

As per RF part is concerned, You should know to develop RF sources(like PLL synthesizers),Amplifiers,Switchable filters,variable attenuators and some mechanism to measure the reflection coefficient and insertion loss.

Hey,

I will suggest you not to waste your time and effort on this idea. It is very interesting. But if you are too much serious about it, then only go for it. I would like to suggest you that there are many things to do apart from it. There are many vendors in the market who sale Vector network analyzers. The best idea will be to learn it to test your circuits. That's what my suggestion. If I would you, I don't want to do that design. Infact, I would like to come up with an idea that would improve the performance of VNA that exists in the market. Anyways, I don't want to discourage you.

Thanks

Just a small comment:

It is possible to design a VNA. I did it, but it took me a year of working fulltime . The VNA worked form 10 MHz up to 1.5GHz, I designed the RF part from synthesizer to receiver to testset to measurement algorithms. Clearly I learned a lot from that experience, but was it usefull apart from that? I doubt ...

VNA's are designed by very large teams of experienced and seasoned RF designers. Surely you can design a VNA by yourself, but do not expect to compete with their specifications. I don't think you'll have the same budget as them, so they cerainly will be able to use components with better performance.

If you do it, so it for the experience, but it's not a design made overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back