Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Varistor Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnan012

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I need explanation for the following terms used in Varistor datasheets.

1) MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE VOLTAGE
2) VARISTOR VOLTAGE
3) CLAMPING VOLTAGE (MAX.)

Attachments

• Varistors (specs).pdf
    64.7 KB · Views: 56

Hi,

Read the given datasheet column "test conditions".

Klaus

FOR 20D431K Model

1) MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE VOLTAGE 275 (AC rms) 350 (DC)
2) VARISTOR VOLTAGE (387 〜473)
3) CLAMPING VOLTAGE (MAX.) (710)

I want to know the behavior of the 20D431K at these voltages.

Hi,

What do you mean?

1) you must not connect more than 275V AC or 350V DC to the device for normal operation

2) With a constant current of 1mA there will be a DC voltage of 387V up to 473V across the varistor.

3) A current pulse of 100A will result in max 710V peak voltage across the varistor.

Klaus

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

What do you mean?

1) you must not connect more than 275V AC or 350V DC to the device for normal operation

2) With a constant current of 1mA there will be a DC voltage of 387V up to 473V across the varistor.

3) A current pulse of 100A will result in max 710V peak voltage across the varistor.

Klaus

The parameters 2) VARISTOR VOLTAGE & 3) CLAMPING VOLTAGE (MAX.) are used for comparison between different makes/ models of varistors. So that the V-I characteristics will provide a same baseline for comparison between different varistors and hence a better selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.