Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable Power Supply using LM2596

Status
Not open for further replies.

pravardhan

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

After seeing a article on Variable Switching Power Supply (UniLab) in Elektor magazine, I wanted to build the same.

The UniLab circuit uses LM2576-Adj.

But, 2 years back i got free samples of LM2596 (5v,12v and Adj versions) from National Semiconductors. These are Lower Input versions and NOT "HV" versions. I went for LM2596 because of higher switching means lower inductor values.

So, my question is can i use LM2596 instead of LM2576 to build a Variable Switching Power Supply. And, i don't need a current limit in the power supply. Or does it require any modifications?

Bye,
PRAVARDHAN

i looked at both parts no connection to current limit higher freq is smaller choke that's all

Well, i made a mistake in my first post. That is, i have the sample of LM2678-Adj instead of LM2596-Adj. LM2678 is a 5A Step-Down Voltage Regulator.

So, can i use LM2678-Adj instead of LM2678-Adj.

@dselec:
The current limiter circuit is a feature given in the Elektor Magazine Article. Mainly used for Short-Circuits and over loading of the power supply.

National Semiconductor has not given any details about the current limiter. Well, may be some sort of protection must be inside the IC's.

Link for the Article in Elektor Magazine: (If anytime link is broken, tell me i will scan the circuit diagram and send it):
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Reactions: dselec

dselec

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.