Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable 110V DC Power Supply For Test Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hr31coupe

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

Just joined up to the forums, apologies if this thread is in the wrong spot.

I am currently looking at designing and making a piece of test equipment to test the opening and closing time as well as minimum operating voltages of high voltage circuit breakers.

The control circuit side of things is no problems but I am struggling to find a solution to the power and timing requirements.

Firstly, a 110-120v DC supply is connected to the test set (fed from a battery bank on site) and I need a way of varying the volts from 110vDC down to around 50vDC. I would prefer a rotating knob to adjust as a digital voltage panel meter will be mounted next to it. This is required to test the minimum operating voltages for the open and close contactors on the circuit breaker. Current drawn through the device should be no more than 10A.

Secondly, I need a timer that counts in milliseconds which displays it on a screen and has a start and stop input as well as a way to reset it and the option to change the sensing from n/o to n/c. There are standalone timing units available (**broken link removed**) that do exactly this but I would like something that I can integrate into the unit I am constructing.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of off the shelf items it would be greatly appreciated as I am kind of lost when it comes tot he electronics side of things. Relays and contactors etc. I can deal with.

I've spent quite a considerable amount of time searching on the internet but haven't really found anything suitable. There are some off the shelf test sets but none of them allow you to vary the voltage.

Thank you,

Allen..

U dont need all that stuff for checking relay voltage.
1 u can take from your batt bank out put from the middle of the bank.
or buy a simple variac 0-110vac and at to it a full wave rectifier with 47uf capacitor, any electronic student can do it for u.
or u can order the parts in eBay and assemble it your self.
https://variac.com/staco_3PN10_20.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.