Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using SRAM to make Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncrocks

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm building a simple 4 function calculator out of basic logic circuits and SRAM (if it's best?).
For addition and subtraction I'll do 8-bits, so 8-bits plus overflow out, these circuits aren't the problem.
For Multiplication I have a circuit the does basic 4-bit x 4-bit multiplication, but I was thinking to reduce size I would do the following:
start with three numbers:
index
multiplicand
multiplier
then while index is less than or equal to multiplier, add multiplicand to itself, add 1 to index.
I figured I could accomplish this using SRAM to store the running sum and the index.
For division:
index
dividend
divisor
subtract divisor from dividend, add 1 to index, store in SRAM, repeat until running difference is less than dividend, then you're left with result (index) and a remainder.

The problem is, I have no idea how to accomplish any of this using SRAM. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
If there's an easier way to do this than I am that would also be appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.