Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PC LCD with a mcu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analyzer

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I would like to use an old 14" LCD PC Monitor with a fast mcu. Does anybody have application note or something similar (like web address) ?
Thanks in Advance,

Analyzer

Do you mean driving the LCD panel directly with the MCU, or using an existing analogue (RGB, SVGA, HD15) input?

If you mean driving the bare panel, then you will have a lot of work to do. Starting with identifying the exact panel and finding its datasheet. It might just be possible, but unless you have a very powerful MCU (what do you have in mind?), or want to use an FPGA or dedicated display chipset for the interface, it's probably not realistic.

If you want to drive the analogue RGB input, that's different, although you still have a lot of work sorting out the timing and running a framebuffer. And using 3 DAC's unless you just want 8-bit colour.

I've seen a few notes about doing this, but can't find them at the moment. Can you give more details of how you want to do this?

FoxyRick.

FoxyRick said:
... or using an existing analogue (RGB, SVGA, HD15) input?

That's exactly what i am looking for.. I'm seaching Maxim's site if they have a related ic.

Analyzer

You'll still need a very fast MCU, unless you can find a dedicated VGA driver (like a an old cirrus logic or CT chip, I've seen them on eBay) or use an FPGA. If you want to run 1024x768 at 60Hz, that's 47 million pixels per second to send out, and 98KB of framebuffer RAM per bit of colour.

Are you planning full colour?

Someone has already done this, but I bet they use an FPGA:

**broken link removed**

Analog Devices does some display-type chips - might be worth searching there.

I would be *very* interested if you find anything useful.

I had this sort of idea some time ago. I ended up buying old embedded PC boards with digital outputs and bare flat panel displays. It was easier!

FoxyRick.

Hi Analyser

try here:
**broken link removed**

hope it helps ... Polymath

Hi there,

I'm planning to use ARM9 to drive. I hope i can achieve!

Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.