Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using multiple LM3409's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMG

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am controlling 5x LM3409's from a pic. The ENABLE pin of each device is connected to the PIC directly, which also has a 510R resistor and LED connected to ground. This means that when that driver is enabled, the LED lights as an indicator and the ENABLE pin is energized. There are a few problems though. I seem to be getting multiple drivers turning on when only one driver is selected. I assumed that the ENABLE pin of inactive drivers was being pulled low through the 510R resistor and LED. Is that acceptable? I'm considering putting a 10K in parallel to the 510R and LED for each driver.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

James

The above issue is solved.

I still have an analog dimming issue. I'm using a digital pot to create a potential divider that provides 0 - 1.667V into the analog adjust pin of each of the 5 drivers. They are paralleled together. The issue is that as I ENABLE more drivers, there seems to be a raise in voltage at the dim pin which obviously increases the output. This may be a issue of not enough current in the potential divider circuit to drive the dim pins correctly. Any thought on this or past experience? I am using a 10K resistor from 5V and a 5K digital pot to ground. Current is 0.3mA to the pins when the digital pot is at 5K.

The datasheet indicates:

Apply a voltage >1.74V to enable device,
voltage <0.5V for low power shutdown.

So first things first, with a scope make sure you meet those requirements. And yes, a 10k parallel resistor could help...there could be noise feed thru from the other active drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.