Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using MSP430F1121 to drive a LCD display

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaoum

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spi hct164 lcd

Would a MSP430F1121 be able to drive an 16*2 LCD Display

MSP430F1121 LCD

Why not? By the way, you should consider about operate voltage, because MSP430 is suitable for 3V than 5V So, to interface different voltage level together, you have to design something like a buffer circuit apply between them.

anaoum

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: MSP430F1121 LCD

Could you give me an example of a buffer circuit,

thanks

There are other chips in that family that have a built in LCD driver .I think that is the 430F412 .. I use it long time ago and is cheap .I worked very nicely .

anaoum

But the Problem with that is the microcontrollers are too small for me to use.

thanks anyway

Examples of level translation:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

anaoum

Would you happen to have any code examples in assembly of driving an LCD

hi,
which lcd r u using?ur interfacing requirements depend heavily on it! the one that i used had 2*80 screen display but it used i2c together with some commands to display so i needed just two port pins.
As far as i remember msp430f1121 has only two ports without any peripheral support such as i2c,spi or uart with 256 bytes of ram so u may have to use latches or multiplexer to drive ur lcd, it would be better if u choose a little high end micro of msp430 instead of this.
pimr

Im using a Standard 16x2 LCD

MSP430F1121 LCD

Wouldnt all MSP outout lines could interface directly to a HCT where Vih is 2v ??

And the HCT can drive the LCD directly.

I would suggest the use of a HCT164 , then you just need 2 pins to drive the LCD.

I run most of my LCD's with output lines only from my AVR's. So you dont need to think about intefacing 5v LCS output to MSP input.

But LCD + HCT needs 5v

Pseudo code here , and another schematic with same function , but HCT164 is much easier to wire up.

You will need a HCT gate in between the resistor and the uC pin else you only feed 3v to the LCD enable PIN.

http://www.rentron.com/Myke1.htm

Well.... if the LCD is TTL compatible and you only use the pins described in the schematics they should react on 2v , and you might be able to do it without the HCT. But im not sure here and a HCT is a lot cheaper than a MSP ......

DONT try to connect any of the LCD output pins to the MSP , then you will feed 5v to a 3v device.

/Bingo

hello,

would i be able to convert the msp430 3v levels to 5v by simply using a transistor?

thanks

HI

YOU CAN INTERFACE MSP430F1121 DIRETLY TO LCD BECAUSE LCD OUTPUT IS ONLY VH = 2.4 VOLT NOT 5 VOLT, NO INTERFACE CIRCUIT IS NEEDED. I HAVE A WORKING CIRCUIT WITH MSP430F123. ITS MY OWN DESIGN IN MARKET WE CALL IT SERIAL LCD, IT CAN WORK WITH 16X1, 16X2 AND 16X4 LCDS.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED LET ME KNOW SO WILL EMAIL YOU THE SPECS.

THANKS.
FAKHRE ALAM
RENO, NEVADA

Anyone can hep me ? İ want to study LCD control with msp43021xx. But i didint do. Example code is very important for me. Can you share with me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back