Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using mosfet as a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpleanger

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wanna design the switch using the mosfet.
gate voltage is about 2.5V.

What kind of MOSFET can I use?

Thanks.

You may use a P-channel power MOSFET

In my opinion if purpleanger wrote "...gate voltage is about 2.5V..." (i.e. VGS being a positive voltage), then, strictly speaking, the MOSFET should be N-channel. And I am yet adding (because a switch is to be designed): it has to be an enhanced mode type (for it to be switched off "without" VGS applied, i.e. when VGS = 0V, or even when Vgs < 0V).
The concrete type to be used depends on the required switched current/applied voltage, etc. in the switching circuit, these requirements weren't specified by purpleanger.

What is voltage & current you want to "Switch". Based on that you can select a MoSFET from any semiconductor manufacture site. Few other things to note:

Keep a good margin on VDS voltage rating.
MOSFET current handling capacity significantly reduce with temperature, be default ratings are mentioned at 25C.
Lastly you want to consider package type.

Reactions: sgugan

sgugan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You should look to use a logic level MOSFET with a gate threshold voltage low enough. Power MOSFETs require around 8 to 10 volts to completely turn on.
What is your current requirement and the max voltage on the MOSFET drain? From that it will be easier to choose a MOSFET.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.