Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Generate statements in my RTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh_letters

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rtl generate statement

Hi,

Can I use generate statements in my RTL for FPGA Design. If so, are ther any changes in the FPGA Design Flow? Do the Generate statement automatically elobrate during synthesis?

Thanks

yes, u can use generate statements in RTL for FPGA design. If some unit is being used over & over again in ur design & ur optimizing Goal is speed and u r ready to give up the Area, generate is a more compact way to write the RTL. It's just a coding style & does not effect FPGA design Flow.

I agree but it merely depends on the synthesis tool so if you have an old version of synthesis tool or weak version I recommend that you didn't use the generate statement, also it adds complexity to the component name in EDIF style
So actually a good coding style would require that you don't use a generate statement but I sometimes used them and it worked fine with me

I second this lat comment. But it depends what you are actually designing. If its a DSP application like an FIR etc , it will take a lot of time to write the code and generate saves you from that at the cost of area at the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back