Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using fpga to implement a digital clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What advantage does using fpga to implement a digital clock have over other methods.

I never suspected there are any :)

Fpgas are good for demanding applications for their speed, configurability, and many additional features.
For simple applications like clock you can use a very simple and inexpensive uC,
program it in either C or Assembly or even Buzzcom, and you're done in a day or two. In my opinion there are no advantages in building a clock using FPGA, well perhaps except for educational purposes.

Cheers, yego

You will learn how to work with FPGA, that's what I can think of

When implementing an algorithm in hardware, we are facing with the tradeoff between performance and flexibility. ASIC, which possesses the advantage of low power consumption and highspeed, is only designed for a specific task. DSP, which can be programmed to implement different functions, requires many clock cycles to complete a task. FPGA lies in the middle of the two extremes. It is configurable and parallelism can be exploited to achieve high speed. Apart from the flexibility and high performance, FPGA has two advantages: easy implementation of
look-up table (LUT) and different precision can be easily accommodated at various nodes in the system such that required processing is exactly realized.

--moorthi

Status
Not open for further replies.