Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using EEPROM for variable in AVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollingEEE

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I want to declare a non-volatile variable ifor AVR. The variable must retain it's value without any power, and also, it's value should be modifiable by the on-chip program. Can any one give me some programming example, in C language?

Re: Using EEPROM in AVR

using Eeprom for a variable that should be changed anytime in chip program is not a good way !!!
you'd better use a backup battery and use RAM .
you also can use high capacity capacitors used except battery ! they are smaller . don't forget to make your MCU in lowest power using mode when going off !

i say it because eeprom has a life wich maybe finished during MCU working if you write on it too many times ... !then your device wouldn't work , i haven't worked with C language , but i think it is not possible to declare a variable in eeprom usually , you should write subroutines wich saves and reads that eeprom address as variable , you also shuold take care of programming time needed for eeprom ! it is not as fast as RAM is ! it takes some mili secondes depending upon different conditions ( voltage ... ) you can get more informatin from the chip datasheet .

Thank you. Power saving mode might be an option, but suppose I am making a voltmeter with an AVR, and I want to keep a calibration option. Now I won't be calibrating it more than 16 times a year. In that case, if I need to recalibrate every time I replace the battery. So I would love to use the EEPROMs for variable

yesss ! , for that application , eeprom is the best choose !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back