Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using CVS when designing HDL code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartart

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

How many of you are using CVS when design a HDL code?

thanks, bart

+svn +hdl designer

CVS only use for group project. if you write the HDL code by yourself, there is no need

hdl designer tortoisesvn

Hi,

We use CVS as our Document Control Management (DCM) tool...

In my previous company we used Cle@rc@se and before that Sources@fe.

Cle@rc@se is just great although quite expensive, it also required some IT effort and tutorials every now and then (bit company we are talking about here). Sources@fe is straight forward, not as powerful as Cle@rc@se but all right, licensing costs where all right.

And CVS is good for small companies but miles away from Clearcase and even from Sourcesafe. It's free, doesn't require a lot of IT support and again...is free. We use the Windows version of it.

It has plenty of 'bugs' or confusing ways of doing things but what else can u ask for a freebie? :?

-maestor

Re: CVS and HDL code

HCM_bucat said:
CVS only use for group project. if you write the HDL code by yourself, there is no need

Hi

I am not agree with you.

CVS could help any one or someone to prepare and save the flow of minor and major modifications in his/her documentation/programs/codings

tnx

I agree with jimjim2k.

CVS as any DCM tool can help you a lot even you are a single individual working in an HDL design.

Even more, if a team of, let's say 4 people, are working in the same ASIC or FPGA design then is when CVS lacks some things. In those cases I think Cle@rc@se is more powerful.

it's just my opinion.

-maestor

I use this software, but it is not so robust

hawk_chenbo said:
I use this software, but it is not so robust

I also use this software with personal project, I think it is convenient to manage my own files. Usually it can meet most of require.

We use CVS and it works great. Especially if you use one of the graphic frontends like WinCVS or TortoiseCVS. Then you only need a couple of CVS experts to solve problems and all other designers can just use the GUI.

Also check out the next generation version control: Subversion. It has fixed many shortcomings of CVS and GUIs are also available.

I would say CVS is perfect for HDL designs no matter, if you are alone or working on a multi-site project.

I also use it for, having both Linux and Windows source trees in sync

/Konrad

CVS and HDL code

We use CVS for Version Control.
It is easy during manipulation.
And this is cheaper than ClearCase.

Well, concerns to the size of source code of ASIC project, CVS is actually good. But remember you NEED a CVS guru in your team, otherwise it would be a mess. SUBVERSION is a promising replacement for CVS although I haven't tried it.

CVS and HDL code

We use CVS as our Revision Control system
It work well.
I like it.

Arch is a new star of Revision Control system,
I'm going to study it.

In my previous company, they employ ALLChange to all process i.e. documentation, circuit diagrams, software code, firmware code etc... They were at CMMI Level 2 and hopefully level 3 next year. Before I left, they started to use HDL Designer where RCS was included. This was in conjunction with the ALLChange process. I thought the process was quite laborious but it actually kept a track of all changes carried out to documents, code etc.. and it was very well controlled with comparison to my current company i.e. several thousand lines of code with no documentation and diagrams.. a bit of a headache looking through the code.

CVS and HDL code

I have ever used CVS for a while. But in many
international company, clearcase seems more popular and stable.

CVS and HDL code

CVS is a system for revision control, and if you are a develop team, suggest to use it.

CVS and HDL code

We use the CVS for version control. It is a pool to store the file. But we use other solution to manage the project.

WinCVS is easy to use, but it's not very stable. Hope for further improvement in the future.

CVS & other version control S/W are very good if you want to return back after upgrading a number of times..so it can be used at personal as well as organization level.

I have ever used CVS and Clearcase.

Basically, these version control systems are developed originally for multi-site software development. But now, it seems quite popular for even local site
projects.

I don't think it is a must for small development groups. However, it may be
a good choice if you need not pay for it.

Clearcase is much better and stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back