Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using car battery in project - how to test a used one and how to charge it

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project that requires 12VDC and at least 20 Amps - for maybe 20 seconds, three times a day. The idea of using a used car battery occurred to me. If I look to buy a used one, how should I test it ?

If I go this route, would it be fine to trickle charge it continuously - maybe connecting a power supply set to about ~13 or 14 V ? Would it be ok to just put a diode in series with the + lead so as to prevent battery current from flowing back into the power supply ?

I am working on a project that requires 12VDC and at least 20 Amps - for maybe 20 seconds, three times a day. The idea of using a used car battery occurred to me. If I look to buy a used one, how should I test it ?

If I go this route, would it be fine to trickle charge it continuously - maybe connecting a power supply set to about ~13 or 14 V ? Would it be ok to just put a diode in series with the + lead so as to prevent battery current from flowing back into the power supply ?

if it is lead-acid , check their electrolyte and the condition of the plates , with the help of a known service personnel.

Most places that sell car batteries have a tester that will give an indication of the battery condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back