Not open for further replies.

msdarvishi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have two vectors A and B that are defined as STD_LOGIC_VECTOR in VHDL. I would like to XOR each pair of correspoing bits from A and B (a0,b0 a1,b1, ...) and ONLY have ONE output at the end to use this output as a flag. I am confused to use XOR_REDUCE function or performing a BITWISE XOR operation?? As I know, the XOR_REDUCE will perform xor on all bits of each individual vector and BITWISE operation will have a VECTOR at its output nor ONE output !!

Any kid help is cordially appreciated

Regards,

Assuming you're looking for a single output bit (to show that only 1 bit is set in either vector), just do the xor_reduce function on each and then xor the results:

op <= xor_reduce(a) xor xor_reduce(b);

I think understanding the question in paramount

Do you want to
Code:
a(1) XOR b(1)
or do you want to
Code:
a(1) XOR a(2) ?
Or do you want some sort of hybrid like the following?

Code:
for I in 1 to a'length
  temp(I) <= a(I) XOR b(I);
end loop;

temp1 <= xor_reduce(temp);

Hello,

I have two vectors A and B that are defined as STD_LOGIC_VECTOR in VHDL. I would like to XOR each pair of correspoing bits from A and B (a0,b0 a1,b1, ...) and ONLY have ONE output at the end to use this output as a flag.
You don't say how you want to convert the vector to a single output, but I'm assuming that after you've xor'ed the bits in each vector to produce a new vector that you want to 'or' those bits together. So you would have

Gazouta <= or_reduce(a xor b);

In VHDL-2008, you can also say
Gazouta <= or(a xor b);

Kevin Jennings

Assuming you're looking for a single output bit (to show that only 1 bit is set in either vector), just do the xor_reduce function on each and then xor the results:

op <= xor_reduce(a) xor xor_reduce(b);

I think you did not understand the question clearly. I have a vector for input A and a vector for input B. I want to bitwise XOR each element of vector A with its corresponding element in vector B (for example a0 xor b0 , a1 xor b1 , ... ), but finally I ONLY need ONE bit output as a flag signal to enable another part of my design.
As I know, the xor_reduce function will do an XOR for all elements of vector A and separatrly for the elements of vector B separately which is not the objective that I follow.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3rd assumption that you made is my objective !! But I think finally I have to do or_reduce of the temp(I) vector instead of doing xor_reduce on that ! Because the temp signal will be used as a flag in order to enable another part of my design.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you assumption. The output vector of the bitwise XOR on two vectors A,B is a vector of flag signals. Finally each of these flags that raises would be enough to raise my final output flag signa. So, the outputs must be "or" or "or_reduce" in order to provide a single output bit.

Do you agree??

You forgot to mention (or may be didn't even think about) the intended relation between the vector that is generated by bitwise XOR of A and B and the single output bit. It may be a REDUCE_OR, as guessed by K-J or anything else, e.g. REDUCE_XOR, as assumed by TrickyDicky.

"enable another part of my design" can mean anything.

I have 2 input vectors A , B.
I want to bitwise XOR each pair of correspinding bits from vector A , B (a0 with b0 , a1 with b1, ...). It it like a bitwise comparator that checks only equality of two vectors.
Then any of the outputs of bitwise XOR function that is '1' would be enough to assert a flag signal...! That's all !
I think with this clarification I think the solution provided by K-J will satisfy the objective. Do you agree??

Yes, K-J's solution is correct.

There are alternative solutions in this case:

Concurrent:
Code:
output_signal <= '1' when a /= b else '0';

Sequential:
Code:
if a /= b then
  output_signal <= '1';
else
  output_signal <= '0';
end if;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…