Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using an Ammeter as a Current load or shunt load

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleystan

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When do you use an Ammeter as a current load or shunt load?

What kind of circuits would you use an Ammeter as a current load or shunt load?

Is it used like this when testing lamps?

I don't understand your question. An ammeter is not a load,it is essentially a short circuit.

some books I have read to do tests on circuits said they use an ammeter as a current load or a shunt load

It says in the book that you can set the ammeter to be a 1amp load

My multimeter contains resistors which are inserted inline on the mA ranges.

On the 300 mA range, it inserts a 1 ohm resistor. It is in parallel with the meter.

I have never thought in terms of using these internal resistors for any purpose except as connected with the meter. I suppose if I wanted, I could hook the meter up to use the 1 ohm resistor for some external purpose.

There is a certain voltage which will pin the meter. I calculate it as .3 V because I would read 300 mA through 1 ohm (and 300 mA is the range which applies the 1 ohm resistor).

some books I have read to do tests on circuits said they use an ammeter as a current load or a shunt load

It says in the book that you can set the ammeter to be a 1amp load

A 1 amp load at any voltage? Do you mean you can use your ammeter as a current sink? You'd better go back and read that book again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back