Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a single PWM Controller for 2 Voltage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayeong

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have an incoming voltage of 9V. Is it possible that I used a single PWM controller to output either +5.0V or +3.3V but not both together ?

Thanks

Cheers,

Hi

First you can use linear regulator to drop the 5v into 3.3 V

2nd you can use sepic topology converter with a 2 loop transformer e.g

the transformer have 2 secondry coils use the first (5V) to close the loop
and the 2nd for the 3.3 V

Enjoy

Bobi

Hi

Take a look at Maxim, ie MAX50x5. Start here:
h//p://para.maxim-ic.com/ss.asp?Fam=DCDC_All&Tree=PowerSupplies&HP=PowerSupplies.cfm&ln=

There are many others like On-Semi ...
Depends of price and size what you need, perhaps bobcats solution is cheaper, it depends on the rest of the design.

//=tt

Cluricaun

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen a controller from Maxim (MAX1626) which is very attractive & neat in switching between 3.3V/5V.
**broken link removed**

However, it looks expensive from a manufacturing point. Thus, I'm wondering anybody manage to do that cheaply using discretes ?

An LDO doesn't seems to be suitable for high current and huge difference in input & output voltage due to heat dissipation. For example, (9V-5V)*2A & (9V-3.3V)*2A.

Thanks

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.