Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a PWM controller external MOSFET interfacing from chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_writer

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to use a PWM chip in a 100V + buck converter application but the ICs are rated at 30-40 volts max. Would like to drive an external MOSFET and I need help interfacing from the chip output to the FET. The typical ICs are... TL2842, TPS40200, or UC1573. This may take a little discussion back and forth but can anybody help?

Re: Using a PWM controller

the TL2842 is good, use and calculate the input resistor (connected to VCC) ...
the IC has an internal regulator, a Zener diode. Look at the datasheet to calculate the power dissipated in the chip and you are good to go !

Why don`t you want an isolated output (using a transformator). By experience, start at 30V then go to 40V, etc to test your circuit.

This figure shows what I would like to do. For now it is a concept, until I am sure it's OK to use a 35 Volt part in a 140 Volt application! Are these controllers commonly used this way?

Using a PWM controller

using a transformer or a gate driver are better solutions ,since it provide isolation, and reduce the stress for some components.

Thanks for the gate driver suggestion. Please see new thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.