Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use of SPI pin as a GPIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhn

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm using SPI interface for communicating with an external ADC. I've configured the inbuilt engine to operate at a specific speed. So the three lines (MOSI, MISO and SCLK) will be controlled by the microcontroller engine. Now, in order to find out whether conversion is over or not, I 've to poll the MISO pin.
But is it possible for a port pin already configured as an SPIO engine pin, to be polled as if it is a simple GPIO?
I'm using a ARM-7 based microcontroller which has different functionalities multiplexed. So we need to choose the behaviour of each pin using PINSEL registers. Whether I need to explicitly change functionality of these pins or can I simply poll this port pin?

Thanks in advance

Hi, when i've used tms470 arm7 with chipcon spi modules, i've polled MISO pin after every CS start being active (requerement for chipcon module) so i simple poll GPIO when SPI was configured in hardware spi mode

Status
Not open for further replies.