Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use of Grounding capacitor for Crystal oscillator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhildascl

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I did some projects using microcontroller. But still i i don't know what is the use of capacitors that are used with crystal oscillator. Please tell the reason. Thank you in advance:)

Refer to the attached figure :

220px-Pierce_oscillator.svg.png

The crystal in combination with C1 and C2 forms a pi network band-pass filter, which provides a 180 degree phase shift and a voltage gain from the output to input at approximately the resonant frequency of the crystal. To understand the operation, note that at the frequency of oscillation, the crystal appears inductive. Thus, it can be considered a large, high Q inductor. The combination of the 180 degree phase shift (i.e. inverting gain) from the pi network, and the negative gain from the inverter, results in a positive loop gain (positive feedback), making the bias point set by R1 unstable and leading to oscillation

Status
Not open for further replies.