Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

use instrumentation amplifier as op amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertu

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There are a lot of discussions about when instrumentation amplifier should be used instead of op amp. My question is: since instrumentation amplifier looks superior, can I just use it to replace op amp? If cost is not the consideration here.

I think so.

Instrumentation amplifiers are ideally suited as the name suggests for Instrumentaion applications as they have many specialties like hIgher CMRR etc. but using it in circuits that require just one opamp doesn't make sense.

First, thank you for your reply.

Well, it make sense in my application if it works just as well. My question is whether it will do the job of an op amp, or whether I can just replace an op amp in my circuit to an instrument amplifier.

Higher CMRR won't be a bad thing for me.

siddharthshukla said:
Instrumentation amplifiers are ideally suited as the name suggests for Instrumentaion applications as they have many specialties like hIgher CMRR etc. but using it in circuits that require just one opamp doesn't make sense.

Generally, it's not said that the circuit would work at all. Instrumentation amps have built-in fixed gain and are not intended for external feedback. Op amps have (ideally) infinite gain and can't be operated without external feedback (except as a comparator).

Apart from that, it may be useful for particular circuits to use an instrumentation amp instead of an opamp, but not generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.