Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USC or BU for graduate school in VLSI design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleung213

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone, i recently got accepted to both school for their master EE program. I would like to do VLSI design for my concentration. In terms of the ranking, USC's school of engineering is much higher than BU in the US. I am considering work for companies that are located in the east coast or China/Taiwan after graduation. So which school has better reputation in the VLSI design industry and which school do you think i should go to? Thanks for all ur reply.

Hi. First of all congratulations on your admissions! I have been surfing through many forums as I am also interested in VLSI design and have got 2 admits for fall 09. Based on the comments I have read, I would say that USC is far better than BU esp. for VLSI. Also I have heard that there are a lot of USC grads working in the silicon valley.
I haven't yet decided b/w my two admits.
1) Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
2) San Jose State University.

I am interested in Digital VLSI design. What do you think, where should i go??

do you consider chaning your major?
there is no much vlsi job left for new grad.

Well, I am being sort of pressurized by some of the engineers in my family not to take VLSI. But since i like the subject so much hence i don't know what else could i do. I am now thinking of doing a dual program at IIT chicago. Its "Masters of science in Computer Engineering & Electrical Engineering" i.e M.S. CP.E/E.E. . The degree sounds very impressive. I would take vlsi courses for EE and networking courses for Comp engg. hence i think i would have a broader range when it comes to job market.
But, i am confused if this would result in a scenario where i have my legs in two separate boats!! This thing haunts me!. What do you think? Would some senior or professional like to comment on this??

EE has many fields, vlsi is only one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back