Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USBAsp circuit problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot05

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am building a USBAsp based AVR burning kit by using the schematic provided at fischl.de - USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers

I am using the latest firmware.
I set the fusebits as hfuse=C9 and lfuse=EF (this is defined in the USBAsp makefile)
[but some people have mentioned some different fuse bits. one said hfuse=E9 lfuse=EF]

The two LED s glow but PC and laptop both say "USB device not reognised. A USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned"

I checked the full circuit. Could find no problem.

I was checking the voltages at different points on the circuit. I found that if I connected the multimeter directly across Pin 7 and 8 of atmega8, it shows 2.5V
When I checked the voltage level at the input pin of the USB port, it shows 5.4V. But sometimes, the voltage rises to 5.8V.

Also when I check the voltage at the pins of the oscillator with respect to ground, I get 0V at both pins. I am using 22pf capacitors. Should the voltage at the oscillator pins be 0V?

I cannot understand what i am doing wrong.

Last edited:

read that thread.

It seems that my oscillator may be dead. At least I think so since the voltage at both pins is zero
Does anyone have any idea why my oscillator may be dead?
[EDIT] - I was checking the oscillator pins.
A strange thing is happening. If I check the voltage at each oscillator pin with respect to ground, I get 0V. But if I check each pin of oscillator with respect to Vcc, I get 2.3V.
the voltage across ground and Vcc is 5.2V.[/EDIT]

And if the voltage at pins 7 & 8 of Atmega8 is 2.5V, will the uC even work properly? I read its datasheet. it says operating voltage is 2.7 - 5V
Any reason the voltage at those pins is 2.5V?

If I remove the atmega8 from circuit and test the voltage at pins 7 & 8 of 28 pin base, it shows 5.2V.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.