Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to Parallel for JTAG Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahalcs

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, so far as I know the USB to Prallel converter that is available in the market is not actually similar to the legacy LPT parallel port.

**broken link removed**

I have tried using the converter together with Altera ByteBlaster II (JTAG) which failed to be detected in the Altera Quartus II.

Currently I am trying to DIY a FET programmer for TI MSP430 since a USB programmer from TI cost around $99.

It would be nice anyone could help. Thank Thank! :)

USB to parallel converters are designed to work with printers only. No converter will work for programmers. You have to go for either serial or usb supported programmers

Nandhu

Reactions: osvaldo

osvaldo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Need schematic with converter USB to LPT with Atmega......

Thank you

Yes i have tried these too but they don't work with programmers.
You can use a PCI (or PCIe) Parallel port card, i bought it from ebay (mine has a parallel and 2 serial ports, it uses moschip 9835 IC).
I am using it with Xilinx ICE, avrdude or ponyprog and recently with byteblasterMV but in this case it is a little trickier.
For byteblasterMV (II will be the same) it can only work natively (all other programmers can also work in vmware in virtual installed OS),
you have to open the hardware properties like the attached photo and then write down that driver name.
Then open the registry editor (regedit) and go to the address shown and change the parport (which is the default driver for pc with LPT) name with your card driver name (nmpar in my case).
I found that way in internet, they suggest to change all keys (001,002 etc) but i found that the CurrentControlSet is enough at least in a single user environment.

Alex

Attachments

• Snap20.jpg
    Snap20.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Snap21.jpg
    Snap21.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 142

As often mentioned at edaboard, there's one DIY project for an USB-to-LPT adapter, that promises to emulate legacy LPT functionality and thus to work with parallel port programmers and similar stuff. I didn't try it, because I afford the luxury of a notebook equipped with legacy LPT and RS232 interfaces. But the description sounds profound.

Some popular USB-to-LPT adapter chips should be also able to fully emulate a legacy LPT port according to the datasheets, but apparently, the vendors (or third parties) didn't yet manage to write Windows drivers that utilize the built-in features.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.