Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB mass storage reference design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cy4640 fx2

Is there anybody who has used or evaluated CYPRESS CY4640 USB mass storage reference design?

I'd like to discuss some technical details about it .......

Thanks in advance.

I have used the PL2307 from Cypress.. Never know, what do you want to know ?

Cheers
:)

I need to design a bridge to read/write USB memories from an embedded system. In brief, I wanted to know how much CY4640 can be useful for this design (what is included, what is missing, .... and other details ....).

Hi Andrea

I don't know what kind of memory you want to access. if it's IDE hard disk, you can use GL811. if it's nand flash, you can use SPGT57XX from sunplus or something from phison. If it's Nor Flash, a USB uC and bus switchs should be applied.

We have many experiences on USB mass storage design since 1999. Please contact me by email if anything I can help.

mike

Hello Mike,

I need to design a "bridge", that is a circuit that let us read/write standard USB memories (I mean pen-memories or similar, the ones that we buy everywhere to use with the PC) from an embedded microcontroller, in a manner that makes them accessible by a PC (FAT/NTFS). This bridge is probably composed by a microcontroller with USB host (Cypress, why not?) that implements USB stack and manages a FAT file system, and transfer information with the embedded system through a serial or (better) parallel bus.

Do you have any suggestion or proposal?

Thanks,
Andrea

Hi andrea,

I think the CY4640 is OK for you. It has USB host, and best of all, the code for fat file system management.

in the year 2003 we had desgned a Ditital Camera Partner which us Samsung S3C2410 as CPU. it can access U-Pen. I think the biggest problem is not the USB Host, it's the file system. it is very difficult to manage the FAT file system without a embedded OS like linux (which we were used). So CY4640 can provide everything you need, and the $199 is a reasonable price.

mike

Mike,

do you think that someone in your company has the knowledge to design this circuit for us? You know that if the cost is lower than our internal cost we're always happy to evaluate other ways to get to our customers in more competitive ways.

Let me know your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,
Andrea

Hi Andrea

Almost every body in my office can do this (except the market manager). The problem is the time, we are busying at some big projects. I'm sure the cost will so much lower than your local, but is that urgent for you?

mike

Mike,
we'd better go on with our discussion by e-mail.

In the meanwhile this topic remains open for every other technical opinion or suggestion about the design.

could you email me the ref design?

I am thinking of doing a design using their fx2 chip.

thanks
ahgu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back