Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Hub Powered From Mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer-labs

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
After a fruitless Google search, I'm turning to you for advice.

I'm looking for a reference design or ideas on designing a 3-port usb hub that will run from the mains AC e.g. 90-240Vac.

Thanks in advance.

Reference designs are published by hub chip vendors. They usually rely on a 5V DC supply, so you need a small SMPS. Calculate 500 mA for each downstream port and about 300 mA for the hub, usually regulated down to 3.3V.

I have used SMSC/Microchip USB2514 4-port hub some time ago.

Yeah. That was my 1st thought. But I was thinking someone may have designed a compact solution such as the ones in wall outlets where they also have USB ports. I wonder if those outlets have SMPS in them?

Hmmm... I see. Let's see what others have to say.

Maybe they have designed such wall outlets.

I wonder if those outlets have SMPS in them?
I presume they have. Or you make a bus powered hub which can only supply low power devices.

"USB wall oulets" are usually USB chargers, they don't involve a hub, only a power supply. They surely need a 5V SMPS.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't tell the purpose of your design, USB charger or hub. In the latter case, what's the host computer?

The client wanted to integrate a 6-outlet power strip with a USB hub. Need to clarify if he needs a hub or charger. Is it correct to say hubs are for data and power?

Is it correct to say hubs are for data and power?
Yes. There are however different current levels possible. You should make a complete specification. Also what kind of hub? USB2.0 high speed (480 Mbps) or USB 3.0 Gigabit rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.