Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB GPS mouse data --> UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1985

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb mouse data format

Hello,

I want to get the data of a GPS USB mouse into an Atmega16, to realize that I am using a VDIP1 USB Module (http://www.vinculum.com/prd_vdip1.html), which should convert the USB data stream into the UART format. But unfortunately it doesn’t work.
If I supply the VDIP1 (which uses a VNC1L chip btw.) with voltage I can see the level on the scope rising but nothing more happens.
I have no idea why this doesn’t work. As GPS mouse I tried a Navilock NL-302U and an Ublox Antaris 4, but none of them works.

Could there be a problem with the firmware or the USB interface? Unfortunately I am not very familiar with these things so I would be very thankful if anybody could help me.
Thanks a lot.

Steve

usb gps, india

hey which interface are you scoping. Which chip is not receiving the data properly...

how to read usb gps data

Hi,

I try to connect a Navilock NL-302U USB GPS mouse via a VDIP1 USB Module with an Atmega16 chip. But the ATmega16 doesn't get any data, so I think there could be a problem with the firmware of the VDIP1 USB Module but I am not sure. My goal is to connect the NL-302U USB GPS mouse with the ATmega16 chip, but it doesn't work because I get no data from the VDIP1 USB Module, thats the problem. Any ideas???

gps mouse an atmega

If you feel the usb module ain't working the only way to know whether it is working well or not is either through indicators on the board or through a USB bus analyzer.
Is it possible for you to use some indicators thru ur firmware to check whether the FIFOs r getting filled properly... Do you have access to any USB bus tracer...

navilock nl-302u draiver

Hi Dear Steve.

I read your questions and Srinivasan answers.
I am interested to know which result has been achieved after your attempts for reading GPS Data through USB port in your hardware.

Could you achieve any succession in your designing? :?:
Did you get any data from USB GPS through USB Port?

Could you please get me some information about your achievements?

Thanks in Advance.
Alireza

handle usb data

Hi,

no we didn't get data through the USB interface, it was a problem with the firmware. So we decided to use a serial interface.

take care!

what is meant by uart

Hi Dear Anand Srinivasan
I read a Conversation about Connecting USB GPS to a hardware between you and Steve1985.

I found that you are an expert in USB interfacing.
I have just asked Steve1985 that had wanted to design such a system and he has responded to me that unfortunately he couldn't do that.
Is it possible to guide me in my project.

I have basic question about its feasibility? Is it a doable task to connect and design software for this peripheral and its interface while we don't have any data from a USB GPS except its windows driver?

I would be very thankful if you answer my questions about this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Alireza

usb mouse firmware

Salaam Dear Anand Srinivasan.
Thanks for your response and attention.
I have a Project that must have a USB port to be able toconnect to GPS USB and grab the GPS Data through this bus. This port must be able to be connected to any GPS USB.

The First question is about the feasibility. Is it a doable issue in spite of no data available about GPS brand? We only now that the data should be in NMEA-0183 Protocol!

Is this taskdoable for Digital WebCAMs? it means that connecting a webcam to this port and grabbing image data?

Thanks in advance.
Be in touch please.
Good Luck.:D

log data from usb port

Hi Steve.

You said that you couldn't get data through USB and then you choosed serial.
Did it mean that you have chosen the GPS that sends its data through serial port like RS-232?

data from gps

I was seeing the data rate and stuff of NMEA-0183 protocol and it doesn't seem to be high... so on the hardware side i don't see a big problem implementing this...
On the host side you would need a appropriate a driver to decode the data... what have you planned for that...
Regarding the digital webcam like application there are ICs available specifically for this... You can use them or use a generic USB controller and handle the overhead in the firmware....

gps mouse with serial interface

Hi Dear Anand.
Thanks for replication.

Is t possible name IC number that log data from usb webcam for example that i can see its features.

What the meaning of the expresion "handle the overhead in the firmware..."?

Thanks for all.
Alireza

navilock nl-302u atmega

**broken link removed** check this out.... there are lot of ICs which are already available although i've not tried one...
When i say handle the overhead in firmware what i meant is that there will be certain fields in video class device packets say signature and stuff which are defined by the video class protocol... the devices that support video class will run internal codecs thus handling the overhead whereas in generic devices you'll have to tell the device how to handle the overhead....

The VNC1L does not support web cam, but the chip have to mode , Data mode and command mode. You should drive the DataREQ pin to go in wheter mode you want. The data from the GPS and Mouse and Webcam can be transfered to the chip if this pin is well set. The VDIP comes with an old firmware, update it ... this can be done via a USB mass storage

Status
Not open for further replies.