Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb cable extender , plz help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexx

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all , in need to connect my LCD projector for distance at least 12 m to control by remote for powerpoint silides .

when i tried 10 m USB cable the windows give me not recognized ,, bla bla bla bla

but when i connect it for 2 meter it works good , then i guess i must increase the power of usb cable , but how can i do it ?

the usb connector like this +5v data data - GNd

how can i increase the poer to my cable to extend it more than 12 meter , do i must use transistors or somthing like that ????

plzhelp

I would suggest using a powered USB hub. You want a hub that uses an external power supply, not the cheap passive hub or splitter sold with many laptops.
Place the hub at the mid-point of the cable run. Since the hub rebuffers all the USB traffic, this gives you the best option of overcome any signal integrity issues.

I'm not quite sure that power is your problem !
noise, my friend noise.. that is the problem !
on a long wires with high-speed signals you definitely will have distortion of a usb signals.
because of that your device is not recognized.
try with some usb hub in the middle in order to regenerate signals on long line..

There are wireless remote controls for presentation purposes!

USB is specified for 5 m maximum length. The problem isn't basically pulse transmission. Thus a bus-powered hub may operate as a repeater between two 5 m segments, but I didn' try. Hub chaining is also generally allowed by USB spec (up to four, I think). I was able to operate a bus-powered device with two chained bus-powered hubs, but I won't recommend it generally. Long distance USB extenders are also available, they usually convert to different physical layer on the way and are relative expensive.

so what can i do for thais problem ? , i need to expand my cable about 15 meter and how can i kill the noise ?

by the way i need to try somthing made by somthing available

and iam woundering if i use the noise killer the black peice used to be in vga monitors ? ami right in that ?

and if i used some transistors to amplyfie more power this maybe kill the noise

plz help me if any one try this ill be very thankful

No, You have been told the specification for USB states that the maximum length of a USB cable is 5 meters (16 feet). As a result, you cannot extend the distance of your USB device more than 16 feet without using a USB "active" extension cable (also known as a USB repeater cable). This cable contains active electronics which boost the USB signal for maximum reliability and performance over extended distances.
Up to 4 of these USB Active Extension cables can be linked together to extend the distance to your USB peripheral for up to 60 feet.

12-156-018-02.jpg

tn-ar2500.jpg

Also there are other solutions witch allows you to extend beyond USB length limits by using Cat5 cable. Now you can extend your USB devices up to 150 feet.
https://sewelldirect.com/SuperUSBExtender.asp

thank u dear ill try it by Cat5 cable cuz i dont have such this hub in my city

thanking u

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the cat5 wire solution requires special converters at each end. I do not think you can just attach USB connectors to cat5 and instantly go 150 feet.
While I can find numerous hubs for sale here, I doubt I could find one of these extenders locally. They probably have to be ordered and shipped in.

really i thought it just a way to connect it directly , and iam trying to doit now god u mean it dosnt work at all ?

iam thinking to use such a logic octal buffer like 74hc244 or using any transistors just to do it

any one got any idea about this ?

For amplifying the signal with a buffer or transistor you need to know which way it is going at all time. USB uses the same two data lines for sending and receiving intermittently. To guess the data direction the amplifier has to understand what data packets are moving in the wires and where the packets end - quite a hard task to do without a special USB interface chip.

ok iam gonna try with cat5 shilded and ill connect it directly and see what i can get and ill post what i find

by the way , another question , can i amplifiye the power of the cable just by amplify the 5+ using pullup resistor with voltage source ???

i encountered same problem when i bought a usb extender cable(10m). it seems that theres a problem in the cable or maybe the internal circuit. so what i did is ; i cut the cable and checked it with multimeters to check its continuity, then i bought a female usb plug and soldered its terminal in accordance to end terminal. and to my surprise, it works!

thats mean u got a prolem in to your own cable , we talk here about how to make a circuit or whatever to extend a usb cable .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back