Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB 2.0 project issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSmith1980

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

Im new to these forums and I am planning on building a USB device that will sit between a PC and an audiophile DAC.

High end audio is an interest of mine and I want the convenience of streaming audio from a PC via the USB line, but I also wanted to make sure that the differential data from the USB line going into the DAC is "clean".

The plan is to .......

1) Leave the power and ground coming from the PC along the USB line disconnected as it enters the device.

2) Use a LTC490 differential amplifier as a repeater for the data line coming in which will be powered by a battery.

3) The data would then enter a digital buffer/PLL to line up the data and prevent any possible error/jitter (something overkill) also powered by a battery.

4) A voltage limiter that would keep the maximum output voltage to the necessary level.

I am not sure what IC to use for stage 3 and I am not sure how to limit DC. Im not a design engineer but I have a background in electronics. If anyone could possibly suggest a solution, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

JSmith

1.) seems to be a good idea to avoid ground issues

2.) ok

3.) you need a USB controller to manage the data from the PC i.e. look at a PIC micrcontroller . There are plenty of designs out there "PIC controller USB interface"

4.) The output of this will be the actual data which you can provide to a DAC...etc..

I have had a look at these microcontrollers. I am not sure they are exactly what I am looking for. My basic goal is buffer the USB line and remove any possible jitter. Something that is serial in and serial out would be fine.

I understand that the DAC will likely have some form of PLL inside it already, but I try and give each piece of HiFi equipment as close to ideal conditions as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back