Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usage of capacitor in 12v circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Nørbjerg

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello - Let me just briefly introduce myself.
My name is Simon, I'm from Denmark so if my English is a bit rusty, I'm sorry.
I am a master of science in public health student, I have NO electronic experience, beyond my basic knowledge and passion.

I'm working on a mod for a Apple Macbook Pro 13", where I attach a real desktop graphics card to it, via thunderbolt 2.0.
I use a Dell DA-2 12v 18a power supply to power the PCB for the TB2 connection, as well the graphics card. Sometimes the powersupply reaches 210watt usage, and the card gets unstable.
I would here like to ask you if it would be possible to find a 12v capacitor to provide some extra juice when the wattage peaks in high spikes.
I'm thinking about using a simple capacitor for auto hifi, such as this one

www.ebay.com/itm/Bullz-Audio-2200W-...er-Farad-Capacitor-Cap-BCAP-2-2-/171412141292

Would it be able to handle the stress ?
And how would connect it ?

This is my "eGPU" solution so far:
1.jpg

The eGPU uses a XT60 connector to the power supply, and I hope I could add the capacitor between the PSU and eGPU.

Untitled.png

I've made a --- sketch in paint here, and am I on the right path to make this possible ?
And I know I could use another PSU, however, I want to use the Dell da-2 if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

The capacitor you're thinking of, have no usage on your design. You will most probably blown your power supply.

The graphic card should have enough capacitors to allow instant transients, already.
In case you have long cables, you could add 2200 to 6800uF/16V electrolytic capacitors as near as possible to the graphic card power connector (in parallel).
(image for capacitor reference could be found here: **broken link removed**)

From your drawing only the upper top is correct, Electrolytic capacitors are connected in parallel with the cirquit to power.

The capacitor you're thinking of, have no usage on your design. You will most probably blown your power supply.

The graphic card should have enough capacitors to allow instant transients, already.
In case you have long cables, you could add 2200 to 6800uF/16V electrolytic capacitors as near as possible to the graphic card power connector (in parallel).
(image for capacitor reference could be found here: **broken link removed**)

From your drawing only the upper top is correct, Electrolytic capacitors are connected in parallel with the cirquit to power.

Thank you !
So I would just have to add them in parallel ?
But the 6800uF/16V wont output 16v, Only the supplied voltage, if I'm correct?

Yes, they can be used UP to the voltage indicated on them.
They do not generate voltage, they are just help smooth the transients during operation.

Yes, they can be used UP to the voltage indicated on them.
They do not generate voltage, they are just help smooth the transients during operation.

I will try out about 10x 2200uF in parallel then on a custom pcb.

Status
Not open for further replies.