Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USA source for 9-0-9 vac transformer please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerman58

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rating of 9- 0- 9 center tapped transformer

Hi
I have an old Ashly noise gate and the power transformer is dead.
On the psu case it says 18vac at 600ma. I opened it up and the transformer has 3 taps. I assume this is a 9-0-9 transformer with the center tap being 0?

Trouble is I can't find one, even on Google (well there is one; it's in Africa). Can anyone help me by confirming I do actually need a 9-0-9 and where I might get one in the USA please?

Thanks
Phil

9 vac transformers

The transformor may be marked with the said details. Instead of spending time to get a replica, better way is to give the damaged transformor for a Transformor rewinder who will dismantle the old windings with counting it and re-wind them back so as to get the clone of the original one.
OR
Try connecting a 0-9, 1000ma transformor first and then try connecting 0-18 1000ma transformor and compare the performances. Coz If it is mentioned 18V 600ma, we need just two wires to supply that. Good luck

plug in transformer 9vac

GSM Man said:
18V center tap is fairly common
Yes..GSM Man. 18-0-18 is common. But the author says it is marked 18VAC. If ac is used, why the centre tap is given or if it is not used, the transformor will give 36 volts. If it is 9-0-9, It will give 18 volts with the end windings. Then why the ct is used? May be two different tappings for different volatges like 0-12-18 are given but only 18 used. Some what confusing except soccerman58 replies back.

9-0-9 centre tapped transformer

If a center-tapped transformer is marked 18VAC, then that is the voltage between the two "end" leads - this is industry standard nomenclature. If the voltage were "0-12-18" it woudl be marked as such. There are many applications that use center-tapped transformers, including many power supply designs.

what is transformer 9-0-9

This might help. It's a very peculiar supply as the device connector is not your typical wall-wart. It has something that looks like a telephone or CAT-5 connector, and each tap has two wires.
The supply only has the transformer; all other components are on the board.

According to the top of the power supply case, which I didn't notice before, there is a little drawing of this connector and it says Pins 1+6 center (white and blue), Pin 2+5 9vac, Pin 3+4 9vac.

This would seem to confirm that I need a 9-0-9 as a replacement; I don't know if buying an 18vac wall wart and cracking the case open would reveal a 9-0-9 transformer that I could just connect up to this peculiar output plug or if it would just be an 18+0 transformer with 2 taps, which I probably wouldn't be able to use as a replacement.

Getting it rewound is certainly not something that I had even thought about but it is an option, although I would have to go search for someone who could do that. I don't know if it would be prohibitively expensive for a custom job like that.

Thanks
Phil

power 9vac|9v ac|ac 9v newark

GSM Man said:
If a center-tapped transformer is marked 18VAC, then that is the voltage between the two "end" leads - this is industry standard nomenclature. If the voltage were "0-12-18" it woudl be marked as such. There are many applications that use center-tapped transformers, including many power supply designs.
Sorry GSM man. I was not aware of the standared in US. Here in India it is just written 18-0-18 for a centre tap as the markings show and it will give voltage as marked. mean centre to any end we'll get 18 VAC and end to end 36volts and 0-18 is marked for a two ended secondary transformor. Any ways..thanks for the info.

Hai Phil
As per your second post now, it is clear that you need 9-0-9 transformor with the said 600ma current rating. Good luck.

9-0-9 transformer power rating

OK, 9-0-9 it is then. Thank you all
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back