Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[URGENT] 3-phase transformer calculation - confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
3 phase 230 transformer circuit

Hello,

Turn ratio, a = 2300/230 = 10 (for each transformer)

Let's look at Figure E2.7, do u think the value of V'2 is correct?

In my opinion, V'2 should be (√3) x 230 x 10 = 3984 V. What do you reckon?

22_1203923154.gif

3 phase transformer calculation

I don't see the problem V1=2300, V2=230. However, you must consider the transformer circuit Yd5.

powersys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yd transformer calculation

FvM said:
I don't see the problem V1=2300, V2=230. However, you must consider the transformer circuit Yd5.

In the PC Sen textbook, for a Y-D transformer, the 'effective' turn ratio a' = √3 x a
... where a is the turn ratio of individual single-phase transformer used to form the 3-phase transformer. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong...

Let's look at another example from the textbook as below. Kindly focus on the calculation in the 'blue rectangular' box. Say a = 1300/230, and a' = √3 x a

I'm confused when to use a and a' ... If we look at examples 2.7 and 2.8, a is used in 2.7, whilst a' is used in 2.8. Kindly advise.

66_1203925834.gif

turn ratio calculation in 3 phase transformer

I think, there may be confusion in defining the transformer voltage, you could either specify the mains (linked) voltage or the winding voltage. The latter is equal to mains voltage only for D circuit.

powersys

Re: 3-phase transformer calculation - confusing

powersys said:
Hello,

Let's look at Figure E2.7, do u think the value of V'2 is correct?

In my opinion, V'2 should be (√3) x 230 x 10 = 3984 V. What do you reckon?

2300V is correct, since the voltage in the equivalent circuit is the phase voltage, not the line voltage. But if it weren't so, 2300V would be correct again because in your first example the secondary of the 3f transformer is connected in delta, not wye.

I can't see anything wrong with these examples. In both examples, a' is first multiplied with the turn ratio to get a, then multiplied or divided by √3 (depending on the connection) to get the value of the line voltage.

I think it's the relation between the phase and line voltages which makes you frustrated.

Regards.

powersys

Re: 3-phase transformer calculation - confusing

KoRGeNeRaL said:
2300V is correct, since the voltage in the equivalent circuit is the phase voltage, not the line voltage. But if it weren't so, 2300V would be correct again because in your first example the secondary of the 3f transformer is connected in delta, not wye.

I can't see anything wrong with these examples. In both examples, a' is first multiplied with the turn ratio to get a, then multiplied or divided by √3 (depending on the connection) to get the value of the line voltage.

I think it's the relation between the phase and line voltages which makes you frustrated.
I think you see my confusions. Appreciate!

Let's look at Ex. 2.8. It gives that "The equivalent impedance of one transformer referred to the low-voltage side is 0.12 + j0.25 Ω." Can we label each transformer winding at the Δ side as 0.12 + j0.25 Ω? If it's so, can we use impedance transformation to convert the Δ to Y, i.e. (0.12 + j0.25)/3 ?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back