Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UPS Microcontroller Choice and Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

adityaonline

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everybody,
I'm going to design an offline UPS (Input :230V AC, 4 Relays [one for Mains, two for buck and boost and one for output] with buck-boost topology), but confused with the choice for Microcontroller (cost and performance)and how to interface it with the analog signals of Relay and control ?
Anybody suggest me an efficient way to design it ?
Thank you

Last edited:

Hi and Welcome on Edaboard,

You are just on right place for this, all You have to do is to use search white field in upper right corner and search some design chooises and read debate about this there is lots of materials, also circuits, parts,....

Looking from corner of electronic amateur and small production cost of uC for this usage it does not matter, because You will have more costs on other side and components. You should look what You get from uC and how it is implemented into design. Cost of lots uC today is not high compared to case of device, trafo, copper wire, lcd, shunt, sensors,...

If intend to have manufacturing big serie of devices, then all parts should be checked with price, and both eyes should look to China.

Last edited:

Aditya, do u want it as a commercial design or DIY? the choice of components and design would change with this.

Looking from corner of electronic amaterur and small production cost

tapar said of production too, as well electronic armature. If you are looking to assemble single piece I would suggest you to have a look at Arduino.

This would be easy way out for Hobbyist.

Last edited:

Thank you Tpetar and I_think for suggestions. Actually, i'm doing a project on offline UPS and having some problems with interfacing (to) Microcontroller and abit confused with the choice inbetween ARC/PIC/Freescale... Microcontrollers.

i'm doing a project on offline UPS and having some problems with interfacing (to) Microcontroller and abit confused with the choice inbetween ARC/PIC/Freescale... Microcontrollers.

What kind interfacing problem you are facing? All mentioned microcontroller are usefull, micro selection is dependent upon you, if you are skilled in PIC you have to select suitable PIC controller according to your requirement. Same applies for other microcontrollers.

If you are unable to select suitable one, than described your requirement here, so that any one can do this for you.

So its ur collage project.

well Tell us, What all do you plan to do using microcontroller? PWM? Charger? If you have Block diagram of UPS you plan to design, Pl share with us, so that we can help you better.

Thank you Masterleous.
Well I_think, its a professional project rather than a college level project. I'm still working on interfacing of Relay control signal to the microcontroller. You can share any algorithm via 8051 Microcontroller approach.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

you want program 8051 in C or assembly language..

If you want program 8051 using C language then its simple I/O on and off program to turn relay on and off.

define 8051 I/O pin as relay control output and write on and off logic according your requirement

I assume you are aware of 8051 programming

Exactly ud23 ! I want to program it with C or OOPS Programming language, but stuck on Microcontroller choice and interfacing commands.

If your numbers of I/o devices are 4 relays and some other input then you should choose 8051 because easy to understand and program.

Is your hardware side is finished ?

see this interfacing it may help you

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 117
  • rel1.jpg
    rel1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 127
  • rel.jpg
    rel.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 122

Thank you ud23, its all about interfacing and logic ! Actuall Relay interfacing is somewhat complex, thats why i was asking about the proper way to program it. Well, these suggestions helped me a lot.
Thank you all and Welcome for more !

You dont need to use uC to detect power outage and switch relay.

See this example of UPS with uC :

Circuit2.jpgCircuit3.jpgCircuit.jpg

or see this example :

Ups.gif

But like I say earlier all of this You have on Edaboard just use search field.

Thank you tpetar
But, i have to control more like charging, relay switching etc...

Well Aditya,
1)Tell us what all work load do you expect from microcontroller. choice of microcontroller depends on how you are going to load it.
2) for driving relays Its recommended to use UNL2003 and you don't even have to bother for freeweeling diode.

actually for the above reasons I asked you to make a higher level block diagram. so it would be easy for all us to understand what are you looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.